Google Voice App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by skittles90623, Aug 30, 2011.

1. skittles90623 macrumors regular

Ok, so I have two Gmail accounts with Google Voice installed. For one of them, if somebody calls that Google Voice number, it connects to my iphone. But for both accounts, I have no problems making phone calls with it through my MBA.

Anyways, I downloaded the Google Voice App for my iPad, one of two things happen.

1) With my first account, I dial, and the "click2call" shows my mobile number. I click on it, and it calls my phone -__- to make the connection to where I'm trying to call

2) With the second account NOT connected to my cell, it just doesn't do anything.

I really wqant to learn how to do this. If somebody who's tried it before can teach me. THX

2. treestar macrumors 6502

You can only make calls in the Google Voice app over 3G.

3. BigTroll macrumors member

4. skittles90623 thread starter macrumors regular

It won't let me do it through either 3g or wifi. Honestly, dialing a number in that app calls my phone to connect to whoever i call. what's the point?? i'll just dial from my cell then...

I think I'll have to look to other alternatives.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

The point is that you have a different number that you call from. You have a private cell # and a GV #. The GV# can be given out to people you do not want to give your private one out to. Why would anyone do this? First of all, with GV# you can always block a caller directly from GV. With your private, the process is more complicated. Secondly, with GV you have the option of having it ring multiple phones and not just one.
    It really depends on personal preference, I used GV since day 1 (beta tester) till last year. However, upon getting the iPhone I didn't find much use for it as the integration with the OS was a pain. It works far better on the Android (duh).

6. skittles90623 thread starter macrumors regular

yeaah, those are some good benefits (privacy and all), but I was hoping the calls could be made in the same way as my laptop, where it calls the person straight and I can just speak into my computer. I think there's some VOIP stuff I can look into.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

You are right that VOIP is the way to go for calling from an iPad. The problem is that Google Voice is not a VOIP application. Another alternative is Skype, which uses its own protocol which is similar to VOIP.

8. rawhit macrumors newbie