Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BitShifter01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
So, I was one of the fortunate ones to purchase and download Google Voice for my iPhone 3GS. A couple days later I read that Google Voice was not approved by Apple even though it was given the *nod* by the higher ups. I really didn't care because I had already paid and downloaded the app. I absolutely LOVED (keyword) GV.

A few days later iPhone update 3.0.1 was released to fix a vulnerability in the Phones SMS that would essentially allow control of your iPhone. I downloaded it and installed. I added a few more pictures in iTunes and when I hit apply I received a message stating "Are you sure you want to remove Google Voice and all of it's data from the iPhone?". i hit cancel! Heck no I don't want to remove it!!!

I did a sync afterwords and sure enough my Google Voice app that I paid for was removed from my iPhone. Funny thing is, it's still in iTunes but is no where to be found on my iPhone. I am p1ssed to say the least! Not at the fact that I paid a whooping 3.99 or whatever for it, but because of the fact Apple removed it without my permission. I was wondering what I can do other than contact Apple's customer service. It is BS that they are allowed to remove apps from my phone. I'm half tempted to just jailbreak the phone and install it for free! Feel free to point me to a thread if there is one available.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
BitShifter01

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Are you jail broken?

I believe GV is getting ported to Cydia for free...i guess the google people wanted to piss off Apple for not accepting the app =)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Are you talking about GV Mobile? The official Google Voice app was never released.

Apple did not remove the app from your phone. You probably accidentally unchecked it in the sync preferences in iTunes. Simply recheck it to add it back to your phone.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Are you talking about GV Mobile? The official Google Voice app was never released.

Apple did not remove the app from your phone. You probably accidentally unchecked it in the sync preferences in iTunes. Simply recheck it to add it back to your phone.

Ya, i did this thinking i could add just 1 ap instead of having to resync all the others...i unchecked all the others and checked off the one i needed....=(

Now i know though, leave everything checked.

BitShifter01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Are you jail broken?

I believe GV is getting ported to Cydia for free...i guess the google people wanted to piss off Apple for not accepting the app =)

You are correct, I read that. I was one of the first owners of the 1G iPhone so I experimented with jailbreaking, but I haven't done it in about a year. I'm half tempted to do it now. Freakin AT&T!

BitShifter01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009

I will try that when I get home. That would be great! I searched everywhere for this and didn't find any hits on the Web. Might be my mistake. I will let you know later tonight!

BitShifter01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I will try that when I get home. That would be great! I searched everywhere for this and didn't find any hits on the Web. Might be my mistake. I will let you know later tonight!

Yep! Totally my mistake for not checking to see if GV was on my sync list. I know I didn't remove it but apparenty it was not. I still have GV! Yippie!

BitShifter01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
AT&T can't really stop Apple from releasing anything.
Apple ultimately is the only one the who can block or neuter an app, as they are the ones with the final say.

Freakin Apple!

I agree with you, but I guarantee AT&T had a say offline.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
AT&T can't really stop Apple from releasing anything.
Apple ultimately is the only one the who can block or neuter an app, as they are the ones with the final say.

Freakin Apple!

What makes you think so? Apple and AT&T have obviously signed a contract. That contract may or may not limit the types of applications that Apple can release through the app store.

I think it comes down to two questions. What does Apple have to gain from blocking the GV apps? Nothing, as far as I can tell. What does AT&T have to gain? Money from international calls. Money from texting. And more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.