Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
this is going ot be a semi rant.. but mainly a discussion thing (im not sure rants are allowed.. so this is NOT a rant.. its a SEMI- rant) lol!

could you believe it.. google releases the GV application but makes it compatible for only the iPhone.. really.. no iPad no iTouch.. why? the iPhone is already on the ATT plan so you really wouldn't need GV.. unless you want cheaper international calls ..
but i hope Google wakes up and realizes that they FORGOT about the iPad and iTouch lol!

/end semi-rant :p

so what do you guys think about the new GV application?

Last edited by a moderator:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Why would you want it on the iPad? I haven't tried, but can you not access your messages on gmail in safari? Im certainly not going to be placing any calls with it on my iPad. I'll have to see what kind of limitations the actual website has on the iPad. I'll get back to you.

Ok, so it seems the google voice website is fully functional (i briefly went through, didn't try everything, mind you). So why is the app necessary on the iPad. I though the point was of the iPhone app was to make/receive calls with it.

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Honestly i don't know. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on it, because i only have it since I got an invite when it was introduced. I don't really use it yet, but hope to later on. I may be missing the point completely.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Why would you want it on the iPad? I haven't tried, but can you not access your messages on gmail in safari? Im certainly not going to be placing any calls with it on my iPad. I'll have to see what kind of limitations the actual website has on the iPad. I'll get back to you.

Ok, so it seems the google voice website is fully functional (i briefly went through, didn't try everything, mind you). So why is the app necessary on the iPad. I though the point was of the iPhone app was to make/receive calls with it.

Ipad + bluetooth headset + Skype, GV, ect.. = phone without the BS....granted not for everyone but I work from home and dont need a pocket phone, other wise Id use my wife's and forward my GV number. Win all around

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Even if Google wanted to do this, do you think Apple would allow it?

The iPhone is the only device they currently allow for the use of voice services.

Why would they allow an app developer to do something they don't do themselves as the product manfacturer.

The Tab can be used as a phone with a bluetooth or wired headset, but I just wouldn't do it.

To be honest, from my perspective, this makes a lot of sense.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Even if Google wanted to do this, do you think Apple would allow it?

The iPhone is the only device they currently allow for the use of voice services.

Why would they allow an app developer to do something they don't do themselves as the product manfacturer.

The Tab can be used as a phone with a bluetooth or wired headset, but I just wouldn't do it.

To be honest, from my perspective, this makes a lot of sense.

Thats not true Skype, line2, whistle, ect are VOIPs services and available through apple....Google voice isnt different then these programs

eatbacon

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Thats not true Skype, line2, whistle, ect are VOIPs services and available through apple....Google voice isnt different then these programs

How are people still confused about this? Google voice IS different than those. The GV iPhone app places the call through the regular phone app. The other iOS mobile devices do not have a phone app. As currently designed, they could not possibly work.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
How are people still confused about this? Google voice IS different than those. The GV iPhone app places the call through the regular phone app. The other iOS mobile devices do not have a phone app. As currently designed, they could not possibly work.

my bad I just learned its not VOIP, though Google did just buy a VOIP company so the money is on them its coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.