Google Voice; Free Phone Calls til' 2011 - How on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Oct 16, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

You're probably aware that Google Voice has announced the ability to make free phone calls to any phone in the U.S. for the rest of the year..

..and I'm simply wondering how to take advantage of this on the iPad?

:D

2. mrbrown macrumors 6502

You can't, unless you're using SkypeIn or something similar. A phone number (or the ability to use Google Talk's flash app in gmail) is required to use Google Voice.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

What do you mean about the SkypeIn thing?

There's no way then to make a phone call?

Not even by a Google Voice app? I don't care if its an iPhone app grainy in size...i've been doing the same thing for a while now w/ Skype.

4. Pared macrumors 65816

Google voice apps link to a phone number where they call you. Skype does not.

5. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

google voice + Whistle Phone ='s phoning with the ipad...it works.

6. mrbrown macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C5115c Safari/6533.18.5)

I mean that you have to have a phone number that you can accept phone calls on in order to use Google Voice (something you could theoretically accomplish with a SkypeIn account, the Skype app, and iOS 4.2).

All the official Google Voice app is going to do, when it comes out, is set up the call server-side and have your iPhone dial a local access number. So using the official app, or any other GV app, on the iPad isn't going to be very useful, since you can't make a phone call from it.