google voice - junk/spam phone calls? anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mdwsta4, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i signed up for google voice last week. today i've gotten 3 calls from random numbers (that i'm assuming were associated with the number i chose). i don't answer and let them go to voicemail, but instead of getting voicemails, i'm getting text messages of the message. WTF?
    i'm only using GV as a number for the buzzer of my apartment complex. if i keep getting crap calls, it's not worth it.
    anyone else experience this?

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Google Voice will send you a text message by default every time you receive a voicemail. Just turn this off in the settings in Google Voice (under the Voicemail & SMS tab - look for Voicemail Notifications).

3. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

I've checked a few times but haven't seen/heard anything. I haven't been putting my number out there really either.

4. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

i will have to turn that feature off, thank you. however, that doesn't seem to resolve the fact that this number's getting spammed already.
    i didn't plan on giving this number out to anyone. it's simply associated with my door buzzer so when someone presses my apartment number, my phone rings and i can buzz them in.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

No problem.

It's highly likely that someone had that number before you did and that businesses and friends who don't know that person no longer has that number will be calling you instead. I've never had a new phone number (land line or cell phone) where this hasn't happened. The great thing about Google Voice is that you can block specific phone numbers so that they never even get through to ring through when they call. Just mark those numbers as spam if you're worried about it and those callers will never be able to get through to you again.

6. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

sounds like the phone number you picked was assigned to someone in debt and the creditors are still trying to collect!

its only ten bux to grab another GV number!