Google Voice + Notifications + Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammyman, Oct 8, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I have been using exclusively Google Voice for making calls on AT&T. I love most things about it except when it stalls (hopefully the iPhone 4S will help with that).

I am wondering if Siri could be set to call from Google Voice instead of the regular app? My guess is no for the time being. Or if notifications work for Google Voice too?

Here is a strange question I don't expect to get answered here. Right now, every time I make a call through GV, the outgoing number is exactly the same. My wife's phone has a different number every time she calls. Why is that? I love that I have the same outgoing number because I just add that to my A-List and I have some sweet free calls. Just curious if any of you know about that or how to get the same outgoing GV number every time?

I am a little worried when I get my new phone that this will change and I will start getting random numbers making the A-List thing trivial for GV.

2. Pooshka macrumors 65816

I believe Siri will not support third-party apps in any way; hopefully that'll change with future updates.

As far as GV problem goes, could you elaborate; is the outgoing number exactly the same as what, your iPhone number or GV number? When you call someone, they should always see your GV number, not your iPhone number.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

When placing an outgoing call from the Google Voice App, you press call, and then you are connected to some random number. On my phone it is the same number every time. On my wife's phone it is a random number ever time.

I added that google number to my A-List :). This is not my personal Google Number. This is like a Google Call Center, or routing number or something. Free outgoing calls always on my phone. Never on my wife's phone because it is a different Google number every time. Hopefully that makes sense.

4. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Gotcha, now I know exactly what you're talking about. Well, it actually depends on quite a few factors: does your registered GV number (not the routing number) have the same area code as your wife's? Did you guys register your GV number around the same time? Have any of you ever changed your GV number?

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

We have very similar numbers (same area code). We registered them at the exact same time. However, I believe I changed my google number one time because we wanted to have similar numbers. I originally may have registered my number a little before her number before changing it, like a month or so.

I feel like my routing number used to be random and then all of a sudden it became permanent number and hasn't changed since that (knock on wood).

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else have the same google routing number with every call? Or is it random?

7. blacka4 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Nope my Google number for outgoing it random but it does show my Google number on the person I called