Google Voice number port

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by war eagle, Feb 17, 2011.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, but someone tell me if i'm going about this right.

I want to port my number into Google voice and get rid of the SMS plan on my phone. Now that I have found about the GV extensions or whatever for jailbroken phones.

They say when you do the port you will be charged a termination fee from your carrier and I read through the steps that they will cancel my line..

Should I call AT&T ahead of time and try to change my number first and then do the port or what?

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What's the adsvsndage of porting to GV? Get of messaging plan with AT&T and use GV messaging via GV app. Give everyone your GV #.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but you still need an active cell plan with someone be it AT&T, Verizon, TM, etc.

If you want to port your number but still stay with AT&T, I would absolutely call ahead of time and set it up so that when your number gets ported by Google, AT&T assigns you a new number vs canceling your account.

4. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know I still have to have my AT&T number. I just don't want them to cancel my account and I have to sign up again and get stuck with the 2 GB data plan.

What i'm trying to do is port my number into Google Voice and have GV set up as my native phone and sms apps on my phone so that I can cancel out my SMS plan and strictly use GV for SMS WITHOUT changing my number or having to use Google's given number.

But i'm afraid of using the GV as my native phone because I hear you cannot use your mobile to mobile minutes with that? Is there any truth to this?

5. MauiGideon macrumors regular

Im interested in this also. I mean saving $20 bucks a month from unlimited SMS?

Sign me up!

The only thing that was holding me back from canceling my messaging plan was having to give everyone my new GV number. I think it would be a hassle to do have all my friends do this...

But if it is possible to port my old number to GV so that they can still text/call my old number, but it gets sent to my GV... then im down!

6. citivolus macrumors 6502a

You may know this already, but it is probably worth mentioning anyway that unfortunately GV doesn't support MMS, only SMS.

7. sectime macrumors 6502a

I just ported my AT&T number to GV last week. Your contract is tied to your number so you can't keep your contract/ old data plan with a new number. I was moving to Verizon Iphone, so I didn't care.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You number is tied to your contract. You transfer your phone number to google, your contract will be canceled and you'll be on the hook for any ETF if applicable. You will need to then resign up paying any start up costs and be on the hook for at&t's current terms, i.e., 2GB data plan.

9. mpossoff, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

mpossoff macrumors 68020

Just don't port your number to google, cancel messaging with carrier, use GV app for unltd messaging, then let everyone know your new GV #?. With this means if you cancel messaging with AT&T you won't be eligible for unltd inboumd and outbound mobile to any mobile. But if you have 1400 minute plan you have alist. With alist use your google number in your a list and use GV app to make and receive untld inbound and outbound calls. Works great with the iphone. Only thing is and I've gotten used to it is to be able to receive unltd inbound and outbound calls you need to disable caller ID. So when someone calls you your google number is the caller ID. When you answer the call google tells you who's calling and you have the option to send caller to voice and can listen to the voice mail in real time or answer the call. I've gotten used to it.

When you make a call via GV app you get a call back. Your iphone rings then you answer, once you answer you get connected to the call.

Took me some time to get used to it and 'train' my family to start using GV app. But it works almost flawlessly. It's not VOIP either.

I don't like the GV app on adroid, doesn't work as seemlessly as the iphone.