Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Anyone have any idea when Google is going to update their Voice app to make it usable? Right now there are way too many bugs/lags that prevent me from using it full time. I tried some of the alternatives and they stink too. I would love to use my GV number as my main number but right now, the app is preventing me from doing that. Please update it!

thenamesbryce

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
Like most google apps they start out as revolutionary ideas, eg. wave, voice, goggles, shopper, etc., and then never really get fully developed. It's a shame I try and use google apps whenever possible. I would just like them to make them actually useable on a day to day basis.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I use the Google Voice app for business calls. What in particular do you think is lacking?

Extremely buggy and slow updating Inbox. Nowhere near as smooth as SMS. Has a LOOOOOOOOONG way to go before it's even usable on an everyday basis for me.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I haven't experienced any difference in call quality with GV. It is through the phone that you make the call, not 3G or WiFi.

I haven't used the SMS much. I wouldn't expect it to work as well as the integrated SMS of the iPhone.

I don't know what bugs the OP means.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I don't know what bugs the OP means.

It will often freeze/crash requiring you to restart your phone. It also has the problem of the disappearing keyboard when trying to enter a SMS message. It is pretty unusable if you use SMS fairly often. For now I use text forwarding and just add the the forwarding numbers to my address book. Then I can use the native iphone SMS app and and phone app. You just have to use the mobile site or the gv app to send the initial text and get the number from the reply. If you use the gv app like this you just need to disable notifications for the app. Hopefully GV Mobile+'s new update coming out soon will provide a working solution.

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
It will often freeze/crash requiring you to restart your phone. It also has the problem of the disappearing keyboard when trying to enter a SMS message. It is pretty unusable if you use SMS fairly often. For now I use text forwarding and just add the the forwarding numbers to my address book. Then I can use the native iphone SMS app and and phone app. You just have to use the mobile site or the gv app to send the initial text and get the number from the reply. If you use the gv app like this you just need to disable notifications for the app. Hopefully GV Mobile+'s new update coming out soon will provide a working solution.

Yup. I frequently have issues with it. Load the app and it hangs on updating the inbox. Only way to get it to work is to home screen, double tap, hold and quit the app. Fire up again. It may work, it may freeze again. Repeat until it works. Sometimes it takes 4-5 times to get it to work.

Severe delays on messages. Send a message and it doesn't get delivered or it shows up an hour or two later.

I gave up on it as I was using it primarily for text messages. I just upgraded to the unlimited AT&T plan and got unlimited mobile to mobile. Tired of dealing with Google Voice.

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
GV is not a VoIP client. It's simply a router/initiator of your calls. Therefore there's no such thing as GV call quality.

there is actually. their stuff is all routed via VoIP... so... yea.. it can change. I've had voice calls with bad delay and garbled sound.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
GV is not a VoIP client. It's simply a router/initiator of your calls. Therefore there's no such thing as GV call quality.
Do you have GV? Do you notice what number your calls originate from. GV is VoIP.
I ported my number to GV, worked great with my Nexus S. I switched to an IPhone on Verizon. GV sucked, so I ported out to Verizon. To bad because I like GV. Right now my old GV number still works. Of course no response from Google after several "contact us" forms submitted. This lack of customer service is another reason I changed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.