Google Voice on Droid X & iPhone4 ......Quick Question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Feb 15, 2011.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I just setup my friends Droid X with Google Voice. Everything works fine. Only one thing I have a problem with.

On my iPhone, Google Voice will not show the actual numbers called or received from the GV number on the iPhone's recent calls list, it would show a differ random number. But on the Droid X it shows the actual number called/received instead of the random GV number. Now I know GV on Android is more integrated and on the iPhone it's more of a standalone app. But I swear(could be wrong) when I had the Evo for a short period of time, I didn't get the actual numbers on my recent calls list. That's something I would have noticed right away.

Any input on this?
    Has something changed?

2. landscapeman macrumors regular

The google voice app on the iphone is not completely there. Talkatone works quite well and uses VOIP rather than minutes.

3. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

What does that have to do with what I posted? :confused:

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Sorry, not sure exactly what you meant but I will give it a try.

The Google Voice app on the iPhone is completely separate from the built in Phone app. When you make a call from the Google Voice app, it tells your phone to call a Google number. That google number will connect you with the person you want to call.

When people call your Google Voice number, Google Voice forwards the call to your forwarding phones and displays the caller ID as your Google Voice number or the caller's number (depending on the setting in Google Voice settings).

On most other devices that can use Google Voice integration, I think it works almost exactly the same way, except the Google Voice app kind of takes over the phone app. But I've never seen it so I can only guess.

Does that help at all?

5. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Yea I already understood all that ........ But just as you mentioned as what I put in bold in your post, the GV number that my phone calls is what shows up in my recent call list. And I'm pretty sure that's how it was when I had the Evo. But on my friends Droid X, it show the actual number of the call being made, not the GV number on the recent calls list. And vice versa when calls are received.

For Example:

If I call (555)555-5555 using Google Voice. It would show up on my iPhone Recents tab that I called (313)999-9999 which is a random Google Voice number. Now when people call my personal GV number, it would show up on my caller ID as my personal GV number, not the actual number calling.

Now on the Droid X, if I make a call to (555)555-5555 using Google Voice, it will show up on the actual call history as (555)555-5555 instead of the random Google Voice number. And vice versa.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the phone is still calling (313) 999-9999, but google voice is so integrated into the phone that the call logs reflect you calling (555) 555-5555. why it's different on your phone from your friend's..well, that's just the nature of android phones. they're all a little bit different.

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Oh, I see. So for whatever reason the Evo doesn't have Google Voice integrated into the phone app, maybe it doesn't support it. The iPhone doesn't support it. I'm pretty sure the DroidX does though, which would explain the recent call behavior.

8. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Odds are your friend and your old Evo have different versions of Google Voice. It's available in the Android Market just like any other app - and it has gone through a number of revisions. Google treats it as a separate app, which allows them to push updates at will. (and not have to wait for an entire OTA update, like some core-apps on Android require)

9. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

That's probably what it is, cause I do notice some very settle differences in the settings menu but it's not like I still have the Evo or any other Android phone to compare.

10. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

If this really bothers you, you can always jailbreak your phone and use the Phone GV extension which will integrate Google Voice into the native dialer. It will also show the outgoing number as the number you actually called and not the alternate number it uses to connect with. Furthermore, you can set up rules to have the native dialer use Google for certain outgoing contacts and not others. I've been using it the last couple of days on my Verizon iPhone and it works great!

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Are you sure your friends googlevoice settings arent different than yours?
    Because though the iPhone GV app is alittle gimped, you can change the settings on the google voice page on google.com to show Caller's Number or you GV Number for incoming calls.

Dialing form GoogleVoice on the iPhone to an outside line does display a random number aswell, (OT.. I have my GV number as a Friends & Family number so I just call it and make the calls and so far its worked fine however when using googlevoice app it recognizes the random number so it doesnt use the GV as the friends and family).

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

This looks awesome along with SMS GV Extension. Thanks.

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I agree. I use both and they work very smoothly. Well worth the $3 or so. It works better than android IMHO.

14. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I think your missing the point. My friend wants Google Voice on his Droid X to work just like how my iPhone works when it comes to displaying call history. Discretion is one of the main reasons many use Google Voice, and having actual numbers called/recieved displayed on the phone's call history list is not very discret.

I'm perfectly happy with my GV setup on the iPhone.

15. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

My captivate works fine... Maybe the settings on google.com/voice need to be tweaked if he was never there.

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I have an iPhone with GV/app and a Droid X with GV/app. The iPhone works much better with intergratiion if GV app much smoother. I hate it on the Droid x.

17. Krandor macrumors 6502

This behavior you can change in the settings on the google voice webpage. There is an option for caller ID to show the goole voice number or the actual person calling number.

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yes that's correct. However if you have a 1400 minute plan you can have your GV number on your a list. With this means you can make and receive unltd calls to any # BUT you have to have GV set where it won't show caller ID.

19. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I'll let him know about that and see if it works. That's a setting that I overlooked even though I been to the settings page. Might be that I just missed that simple setting on the web page.