Google Voice questions - BB to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Jul 25, 2011.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Been a BB user for years and just got a 2nd device at work...Chose the iPhone and love it. I love it so much that I want to make it my primary device.

Right now, my main number is integrated with Google Voice via Sprint (they are the only carrier that you can actually integrate your own number with). I have that number pointed to my iPhone (vzw) but the main issue is that when I dial out from my iPhone my main number isn't shown..I want to fix that.

Today, I am going to port my BB number to my iPhone (vzw) and then put another number on my BB (sprint). What do I need to do differently with my GV setup than I have now?

For those curious, I need to have two devices based on the types of meetings I am attending (carrier related).

2. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

So I have my old GV number back (which no one uses or knows). My Sprint BB is added as is my VZ iPhone. Next steps? Not sure if this will work or not.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak and install sms gv extension and phone gv extension. They provide a seamless experience and work well for me.

Short of at you can dial out from thhe official gv app. That will at least show your gv number to callers.

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Problem is my Google voice number isn't my main number. When I had my main number on sprint it directly integrated with Google voice. Now, my old Google voice number is back since I ported my main number to Verizon. I need to be able to point my main number to my Sprint number (neither of which are my Google voice number). I have meetings this Thursday where I'll need my Sprint BlackBerry and need my iPhone pointed to that.

5. anush3 macrumors member

guess you would need your main number to be ported to google voice.
    Once that's done you could use Google Voice app on iphone to dial from your iphone and your friend would see as if coming from your google voice number and not iphone number.

6. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

If I port my number to gv does that mean I'd have to have active lines on my vzw acct?

7. rmhop81, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Each phone number u call also has a google voice number. So if u text someone from gv app and have forwarding on, u will see some random number associated with their name or cell number. Say u text ur friend Brian as an example, his regular number is 214-555-1234. If u text that number on ur gv app or the web and have forwarding set on your iPhone, a random number will text you when he replies. It could be like 617-555-8796. If you save that number, under brians name as a second number, you then call that random 617 number and it will call Brian showing ur google voice number. Same goes for texting if u don't wanna use the gv app.

Sounds to me like u wanted 1 number for 2 phones correct? Is ur personal line and work line going to be connected or did u want them completely separate?

8. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Huh? Each number I call has a GV number? That makes no sense. I dont use the GV app to place calls. My only real question at this point is if I port my main number to GV will I have to get another number (so 2 numbers on Verizon) if I already have a Sprint number that I can use for forwarding?

9. rmhop81, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i use it daily with my iphone 4 without a data plan. Every number that is called has a google number associated with it. So when i text my friend Josh from my iphone #, i text the random number that is associated with his phone number that google provides. It then forwards to Josh's cell with my google voice number listed.

see this link

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ogle-Voice-to-its-fullest-on-a-non-smartphone

Is your goal to have 1 main phone number and forward it to 2 phones? Or will people be calling you on different lines?

I thought your sprint line you ported to Verizon?? I thought the reason for 2 phones was to have on 2 different carriers for business purposes?

Little confusing...you may want to restate your situation..

10. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I used 5k-6.5k mins per month and most of the numbers I call dont have a GV associated with it. If they do, I dont have the time to ask every person I call for that number. I want to have one number for people to call me on but want the ability to forward that main number as needed.

Here is what I want to do:

I have a GV number that was assigned to me back when I first got GV. I dont use that specific number for anything. Before my iPhone I had my Sprint BB number integrated as my GV number. Things worked exactly as planned. I then ported my Sprint BB number to my new iPhone and put another number on my BB (that I wont publish/use). So now I have three numbers sitting in GV but the main one is there as a "forward to" number, not a "forward from" number. Ultimately, I think I am going to have to port my iPhone number (my main number) to GV so it is the central number within the app. Then I can forward to my Sprint BB when needed. SO....all of that said.......my questions are:

1. If I port my number to Google Voice do I then call VZW back and ask them to put the same plan back on it (I've already confirmed there will be no ETF).

2. I read somewhere that I had to get yet another number once I ported to GV. Why? I already have a number on Sprint that I can forward to. Is that what is being referred to or do I have to now have 2 numbers on VZW just so I can have my main number as the central point within GV?

Thanks.

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

no one is going to know what you are talking about if you ask them for their GV #, bc that's not how the process works. Most of the time if you are calling people thinking it will show your google voice number it just shows the phone number on the phone you are calling from unless you use that specific number. Just do a few test calls on your iphone from the GV app. When you make the call to a random number, it will show a different number dialing on your iphone. That different number is associated with the number you were actually dialing if that makes sense. So if you open your app and as an example call your friend brian at 214-555-1234, it will then connect using your iphone and the number may show up like 617-555-8796 and not show up as the 214 #.

1) If you port your iphone number from Verizon to google voice it will end your contract, so you may want to make sure you can do this with verizon first. They may allow you to continue your same plan with just a new phone number but i would confirm first.

2) Once your verizon number is ported from verizon to google voice, you will have to get another number on verizon/iphone so google voice can forward to that phone. Google voice is just simply a forwarding service. So any phone you want to use has to have it's own phone number so google voice can forward texts/calls to it.

So keep sprint as is...you are fine there. You will need to port your verizon iphone number to google voice since that is the main line you want as your google voice number. You will then have to have verizon get you a new number on your iphone and you will input that number into google voice as a forwarding number. If you want your main number to show up when calling people it's not just gonna happen if you don't use the GV app or do the phone number thing like i listed before. If you call from a forwarding phone to a number you call, it will still list that phones actual phone number and not your GV number. You either need to call from the app or use the specific number associated with that phone.

Again, more info for you (this process below can be used on a smart phone if you don't want to use the gv app and want to use native text messaging.)

http://lifehacker.com/5775534/get-the-most-out-of-google-voice-on-your-non+smartphone

12. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I dont want to use the app to make calls....that's my reasoning by wanting to port to google voice. If I do that and make calls from my phone (not the app) that is the main number in google voice wont my main number show up?

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

no, read the last article i sent you.

14. anush3 macrumors member

1. Let us say your VZW number on your iphone is 123 which is not currently GV number but is your main number....once you port that to GV, 123 becomes GV number and because Google and VZW doesn't have integration (as Sprint and Google have) ,the moment porting is complete your iphone would loose 123 from VZW. So you would need to get another number from VZW(e.g. 234) for your iphone so that you can forward calls from 123 onto 234 and that's how your iphone would ring once someone calls 123.
    Once this is done...if you call from iphone using VZW your friends will see 234.
    And when you call from iphone using GV app(on your iphone) your friends will see 123.

2. That's because your GV number cannot receive calls (Forget about sprint where it can that integration does not exist outside sprint). In order to receive calls you need to have a receiving number (e.g. a forwarding number or gmail voip client).

I think though if you can easily share your new number with all your friends then easiest would be to share your unused GV number and make as main number.

15. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I did. I ask because when I had Sprint integrated as my google voice number (which was my main number that is now ported to VZ) I made calls without the app and that number showed up.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

right bc it was integrated with GV. If you used an android phone w/data plan it would do the same thing bc it's integrated. in iOS it's not integrated at all so you have to do manual work arounds if you aren't going to use the app. If you have numbers you call all the time, u simply call them once from the app and it will connect with your iphone number and give you a random number....save that as the 2nd phone number of the contact you are calling. Next time you want to call them, go into contacts and click that 2nd number and it will call them showing your google voice number.

17. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Wow, thanks....had no idea how huge the integration piece was with Sprint. Appreciate the responses.

18. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

NP man, yeah it's pretty nice that they have that. But if you do the workarounds like i showed you it won't matter that verizon isn't integrated like sprint is. Every person in my contact list has that random gv number listed as a second number. I don't have a data plan on my iphone so i don't use the GV app either. If i want to call my buddy, i simply go to the contact list and hit that 2nd random number provided by google and it shows up as my google voice number. I could change my actual iphone # 20 times and no one would ever have a clue bc i use my main number on GV.

It's an awesome system...hopefully it always stick around. Even the wife uses it daily and loves it also. Bc you can text from the computer also.

If your main line is on GV, it gives you total freedom to do whatever you want with your cell phone and don't have to worry about porting numbers to different carriers. If my phone breaks and i have to sport a dumb phone, i just type the new number in GV and i'm good to go. We really like it.