google voice sms notification

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ghcmonkey, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ghcmonkey macrumors newbie

Is there any way to get notified when you get a google voice sms on the iphone? Is there any cydia or legitimate app that pushes the messages?
    edit: I believe the new gv mobile app on cydia does this? I'm not sure though. i don't think it lets you push gv sms

2. /seth/ macrumors newbie

python script for google voice notification

I've written a python script that can send you notification by either instant message or email when you receive an sms. It uses the Google Voice for Python package found here: http://code.google.com/p/pygooglevoice/ . Assuming you have all of the dependencies installed, just change the extension of the attached file to .py, run it from the command line, enter your account info, and let it go.

I'm a total beginner with python and scripting, so let me know if there are any questions or suggestions.

The body of the script can also be found at: http://twrl.tumblr.com/post/156706491/gvnotifier

Attached Files:

3. duffer macrumors regular

Not working for me

I have been trying to get this to work all day. So far, no love. I have all dependencies installed. I enter my info in when prompted, but don't receive any notifications.

Any ideas? I have tried your script and several others, and have yet to get any of them to work.

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

uh, don't be harsh to me, what is google voice?:confused:

5. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Oh the irony... ;)

It's the first google result. :eek:

6. haninaguib macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have setup a system at www.gvmax.com that lets you get your Google Voice SMSs sent to your email and/or to your iPhone via Prowl. It is supposed to make the process easier (although unfortunately currently you will need to supply your GV credentials). It is more for people that don't have the know how, dont want to keep a machine running 24hrs/day or just dont have the time to setup it all up.

It is currently very much in beta stage but barring any unexpected bugs it should do the job.

I will be releasing a standalone opensource version in the future for those that want to run it on their own servers.

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I signed up for the gvmax, are you working on it being pushed instantly??

8. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

This might be totally not what you're looking for, but your question isn't very descriptive of what you want to do. If you set your iPhone as the mobile number in your Google Voice preferences, doesn't it automatically receive them as a normal SMS message? Or are you trying to do something more advanced?

9. radiodialer macrumors newbie

Google Voice SMS and Voicemail Notifications.

I have been working on this for a few days, basically a procedure to get push to work for Google Voice. It appears to work well in my limited testing so far out in China, but not sure why it would not work in other locations.

This approach is used on an iPhone with some detailed instructions. However, it should work with any phone that has an inbox for Gmail (that is where the push notifications take place).

I would be happy to receive comments back one way or another to whether it actually delivers. The various pieces of it are somewhat straight forward, if you can get through the explanations. http://bit.ly/11QVKK

10. spotsphill macrumors regular

In the settings section of your Google Voice, and under the Voicemail & SMS tab, make sure "SMS Forwarding - Forward SMS messages to my email" is checked on.

By checking this option you will receive an e-mail as soon as you get the SMS. I use PushGmail, which gives me the normal pop up alert that you get w/ normal e-mails and SMS.

For me, I unchecked forwarding the SMS to my mobile number - the whole point for me is to not pay for SMS at all. This allows me to do exactly that.

I have autofilters in Gmail set up to label all my SMS emails in Gmail as "Voice." Whenever I am in my Gmail, I'll just archive the emails labeled "Voice." This is also great for those of you who want to keep a history of your SMS.

Also, when I received a MMS message from another iPhone, I was able to read it from my Gmail account.

11. spotsphill macrumors regular

One other thing to note is that you have to also go to the "Phones" tab and then under your mobile number, click "Edit." You must then uncheck "SMS Settings: Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)" in order to not get SMS forwarded to your AT&T number.