Google Voice & SMS quick reply

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spotsphill, Mar 10, 2010.

1. spotsphill macrumors regular

This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering if there is some form of app that provides for quick replies to Google Voice SMS? I use GV Mobile+ and I also use the Google Voice webapp in Safari. It would be sick if there was a quicker way to do this, although I'd imagine that there isn't.

Thanks!

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Do you mean something that can be run from the lockscreen? Because otherwise it's hard to get much faster than GV Mobile+ ;)

3. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

My GV number forwards text to my cell # and when I reply from Quickreply SMS the person getting the reply sees it from my GV #.

4. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, or from any program. I am essentially looking for something like QuickReply for GV's SMS

5. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

I can see how that works, but I'm using GV's SMS feature to avoid having to pay for SMS altogether (as I suspect many might be doing). I have all SMS forwarded to my Gmail and then have a push app that notifies me of a new SMS (email).

It would be great to be able to quickreply to a GV SMS.

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I haven't heard about any apps that will do this for you, but there IS a workaround so that SMS sent in the regular way will appear to come from your GB number:

http://lifehacker.com/5316921/how-to-sms-with-google-voice-from-any-mobile-phone

I've never used QuickReply, but if it works like any other SMS app, you could just use it to send texts to the 406 numbers and they would appear to come from your GV number. Not the most elegant solution, and you do have to update your Address Book entries, but it's probably your only option at this point. I used to text 406 numbers from my dumbphone all the time, and it worked just as advertised!

Edit: Just saw that you're trying to avoid using SMS at all. Unfortunately, this method would require you to use your AT&T texting plan, which somewhat defeats the purpose you outlined. You might be stuck using the GV Mobile app :(

7. whatupg1 macrumors newbie

I use an App called TextNow and it allows me to to instantly receive text messages on my GV number with "Push Notification" and also send text messages that will display my GV number as the outgoing caller ID and It works extremely well.

You can try it for 3 months for $0.99 or pay $3.99 for 1 year or $7.99 for lifetime.

Checkout their website http://enflick.com/