Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

kwahsttonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I installed the Google Voice app (which is clearly made for iphones) on my ipad... I have a wifi only model, and when I try to text it gives me a 'not sent' error message. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not possible?

Basically I want to text using my Google voice number... I don't care about voice calls. I looked at talkatone, but it was very clunky and convoluted (especially since I don't need to call, but just to SMS)

Suggestions?

kwahsttonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I text and make wifi calls with my iPad 3. You may want to install the app again.

It's a wifi-only iPad?

I've deleted and installed the app multiple times, and I find nothing in Google queries for the error I'm getting. It doesn't even act like it's an error... the settings page says it's "not a phone"... so I'm wondering if that's due to the Wifi-only deal.

Comment

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
It's a wifi-only iPad?

I've deleted and installed the app multiple times, and I find nothing in Google queries for the error I'm getting. It doesn't even act like it's an error... the settings page says it's "not a phone"... so I'm wondering if that's due to the Wifi-only deal.

Set up a phone and I think it should work.

Comment

kwahsttonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Set up a phone and I think it should work.

Not sure what you mean... I don't have an option to "set up a phone"... if I go into settings, it shows my Google voice number, then it has a section that says "This device: not a phone"... if I go under "This phone's settings", it shows my actual mobile phone info, but there's no way to edit any of that...

Comment

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Not sure what you mean... I don't have an option to "set up a phone"... if I go into settings, it shows my Google voice number, then it has a section that says "This device: not a phone"... if I go under "This phone's settings", it shows my actual mobile phone info, but there's no way to edit any of that...

I use Skype on my iPad 3 so i enable click 2 call. And should ring my Skype number. But beyond that you should be able to text from your gv number to another cell number. Try texting a different number.

Not sure about the number you are texting but google doesn't support short code text by that I mean a 5 digit number.

Comment

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I use GV Connect. It's made for the iPad and is way better than the Google Voice official app.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.