Google voice texting on iPad 2 Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kwahsttonk, Aug 14, 2012.

1. kwahsttonk macrumors newbie

I installed the Google Voice app (which is clearly made for iphones) on my ipad... I have a wifi only model, and when I try to text it gives me a 'not sent' error message. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not possible?

Basically I want to text using my Google voice number... I don't care about voice calls. I looked at talkatone, but it was very clunky and convoluted (especially since I don't need to call, but just to SMS)

Suggestions?

2. 617aircav Suspended

I text and make wifi calls with my iPad 3. You may want to install the app again.

3. kwahsttonk thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a wifi-only iPad?

I've deleted and installed the app multiple times, and I find nothing in Google queries for the error I'm getting. It doesn't even act like it's an error... the settings page says it's "not a phone"... so I'm wondering if that's due to the Wifi-only deal.

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Set up a phone and I think it should work.

5. kwahsttonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what you mean... I don't have an option to "set up a phone"... if I go into settings, it shows my Google voice number, then it has a section that says "This device: not a phone"... if I go under "This phone's settings", it shows my actual mobile phone info, but there's no way to edit any of that...

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I use Skype on my iPad 3 so i enable click 2 call. And should ring my Skype number. But beyond that you should be able to text from your gv number to another cell number. Try texting a different number.

Not sure about the number you are texting but google doesn't support short code text by that I mean a 5 digit number.

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I use GV Connect. It's made for the iPad and is way better than the Google Voice official app.