Google Voice tips?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atljogger, Oct 26, 2011.

1. atljogger macrumors member

Hello -
    Current Blackberry user but looking to go to the iPhone. What's the best way to get Google Voice integration on the iPhone 4/4S? I've switched to GV as my main phone number and it's causing me a lot of headache because I can't make direct calls out using that number. It's a hassle having to dial Google Voice first or trying to make calls through apps.

I know Android phones can do native GV integration so I'm also considering the new Motorola Droid Razr. iPhone is still my top choice so hoping there's a work-around. My carrier is Verizon.

2. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

It's the same process as BlackBerry.

Don't use the "Phone" app for telephone calls, instead use the "Google Voice" app. For easy access, replace the Phone app in the dock with the Google Voice app directly.

3. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Anyone tried the iPhone GV Extension? Supposedly this allows native integration on the iPhone with Google Voice

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Requires jailbreak, so I have not tried it.

Personally I like the GV Connect app better than the Google Voice app.

5. Montanan macrumors member

Can you set GV as your default text service, so that Siri will dictate GV texts?

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not currently. It's "guessed" that in the future Siri will have an API that will allow 3rd party apps to interface with Siri.

7. Montanan macrumors member

Thanks ... I was afraid of that. :(

Is that true for voice calls as well, then? If you ask Siri to call someone, will it bypass your Google Voice setup?

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, Siri will call and text from your cell number and not your GV number.

There may be one exception - with Sprint I believe you can dial out directly on your GV number (it's a solution that Google and Sprint have worked out at the carrier level). Not running Sprint myself so can't say for sure.