Google Voice to replace my landline phone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m021478, Dec 12, 2010.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I hate having to pay for home phone service, but I get terrible cell phone service in my home office so the cell-phone-only route unfortunately won't work for me.

I already use and love Google Voice, and I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to consider using Google Voice to replace my home phone service.

What I'd need of to be able to pull this off would hardware replacement for my current home phone that I could connect to my computer that would ring when I receive a call on my Google Voice number, and that would display my GV caller ID when I dial out with it.

Something like this seems to be right up the ally of what I'm looking for (I think).

I'd then need to figure out how I can receive GV calls on this thing, and how I can most easily dial out with it.

I know of a Mac app called VoiceMac, but unfortunately in it's current incarnation, this doesn't appear that it will work for me because I use Google Apps' Two-Step Verification for logging in to my account, which seems to be incompatible with VoiceMac.

Does anyone know of an alternate Mac app that might work alongside the hardware I mentioned above to fulfill the purpose of allowing me to use Google Voice to replace my landline service?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Look at the ooma VoIP device. You buy the box that attaches to your router and then you use any home phone , corded or cordless, to make your calls. You just pay a few bucks a month in fees.

3. Middling macrumors regular

I would agree with nippyjun about getting a dedicated hardware VoIP device rather than using your computer.

I'm not too familiar with the Ooma but i think it's a proprietary system so i wouldn't recommend it.

I'm currently using a Yealink SIP-T28P, which is excellent.

Google Voice doesn't currently let you log in via SIP but there are many SIP providers that allow you to purchase a US number (SipGate gives you one for free) which you can then forward your Google Voice number to.

4. leonardgrumman macrumors newbie

Google Voice, as what I know, specializes on voicemail service. It has some telephony features but not as rich as phone systems.