google voice webapp experience...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whyrichard, May 30, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has begun using google voice's webapp's on the iphone to good effect...

... what is your experience with trying to replace the iphone tele and sms apps with google voice's webapps?

what are the advantages? disadvantages? best way to setup google voice and the iphone for the most seamless experience?

thanks,
    r.

2. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Well, you still use your minutes or data and the call still routes through your phone number, so I see few advantages in it. Please prove me wrong but I think it doesn't have any advantages.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The advantage lies not in having free service (which you don't as you said) but rather having another number that can be forwarded to any phone of your choice

4. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Coming from the Android/Google environment I can speak to this a little.

There is 1 advantage I see.

Have your GV account set up to email your text messages that are sent to your GV number. You'll get them in your email quickly if you have your iPhone set up for Exchange services (ala Gmail). Within gmail you can respond directly to the text message.

You'd use the WebApp to originate a text.

In this way I believe you'd get 'free' texting. But remember, you get what you pay for. Its certainly a cobbled together solution and 'not' sexy.

5. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I use it a lot for work. I don't want the people I call knowing my real cell number so calling from the google voice number instead is great. Also when I have to call people in the past i always had caller I'd block turn on for my real cell number. Some people don't accept calls from blocked numbers. GV helps with that cause i can call from there and have it unblocked.

For me and my work it's a great service. I've sent invites to others i work with and they love it for those same purposes too. Really wish we could have a native app though. I jail broke my phone and use the GV mobile app but would be nice not to have to jailbreak for that app.

6. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Not when your Google Voice number is part of your friends and family list. You know, that list AT&T has that allows you to add up to 5/10 numbers that you can call, they can call you and they don't use your minutes? That one.

Mine is setup on that list and I can use my Google Voice number out and have people call it all day long - no minute usage :D I use my Google Voice number for Craigslist and the like when I don't want my real number out there. I also use it when I sign up for things (credit cards) so if I get calls I don't want, I can block them. I love it!

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

1. Free Phone Number of your choosing
    2. The ability to make that free phone number ring any phone you want
    3. The ability to record phone calls
    4. The ability to block callers
    5. Free Text
    6. Free Voicemail
    7. Voicemail Transcription

and you can avoid using your minutes if you have an A list...add your GV number to the A list and you won't use your minutes

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The more I read about Google voice, the less I understand it. Is it like Skype? I used to think so, but now I don't. But some things make you think that. But really not totally.

I dunno. If Google ever wants people to use this thing they're gonna have to come up with a better way of explaining it to people.

9. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

type google voice into your prefered search engine, click the first result and read away...all your answers are there and in the GV blog

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

in a nutshell Google Voice is a means of consolidating all your phones under one phone number with some nice bells and whistles to go along with it as I mentioned above in one of my previous posts