Google Voice with Iphone 5 and sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dragonguy83, Oct 25, 2012.

1. dragonguy83 macrumors member

Hey guys love the forums and the information I get from it. I use google voice on my iphone just to keep everything synced but since i use my sprint number, i dont know how to answer the following question...

My Girlfriend also uses google voice WITH a separate number given to her from google so she can use that from work and not have people call her own number. Right now it works great because she is using an Evo phone, if someone calls her to the google voice number, Google voice's phone shows up so she knows its for work. she is looking into getting an iphone 5, they only question we have is, when someone calls the number google voice gave her, will her phone ring somehow once we install google voice on it. All I can see on the websites is make calls from google voice, and nothing about receiving them. She just needs the calls to come in basically.

Hopefully I make sense and maybe yall can help. Thanks Guys!!

2. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

What's the question? You set up forwarding in Google Voice to any other number, and it will call that number. It doesn't matter if you use an Android phone or an iPhone or a crappy phone from 10 years ago or even a landline phone. You do not need to install the Google Voice app to receive calls.

3. dragonguy83 thread starter macrumors member

THANK YOU! thats exactly what i needed to know. I know it was kind of a stupid question but i had to make sure before I gave my girlfriend the go ahead and she made me pay for it for two years!!

4. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Gv

I've used Google Voice on my iPhones going back to my 3g.

The best part about it is I have it sending me emails of messages left and the voicemail shows up as a wav file attachment on the email.

Although the actual "speech-to-text" feature of this is hilariously wrong some of the time - I got a message from one of the women in my offices and it claimed she was "Jamie Undressed". That raised an eyebrow.

5. dragonguy83 thread starter macrumors member

haha! yeah, i love those emails.. i always try to guess and what they are trying to say before i hear it!

6. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Does she need to know if the call thats coming in is from Google Voice? If so, I would have her go into the Google Voice website settings so that the inbound and outbound number shows the Google Voice number. After that, set up a contact on the iPhone 5 that has the Google Voice number. Maybe call it work and give it a different ring tone. Now once that is done, whenever someone calls the google voice number, she will clearly know its a work call. Hope that helps.

7. dragonguy83 thread starter macrumors member

yes sir, that exactly what she wants to know. just to know its coming from gv. this will work out perfectly then. thanks so much! just got my first iphone last night after always having android pretty much, and im loving it.

8. jfulcher macrumors regular

One annoying thing vs Android is if you want to call from that google voice number you have to call from within the GV application and it essentially connects the call and then connects you by dialing some random Google number to the call. It's not quite as seamless as Android for outgoing calls.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Unless you JB and use the GV Phone Extension which I would recommend to GV users (along with the GV SMS Extension).

She's already set up that way -- read the OP again.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm currently using Google Voice on my resume. However, I guess I have it setup to pass through the number of the caller so I'm unable to tell the difference in a GV call vs a call directly to my cell. But if I understand it correctly, if I change it to send the GV number, then I lose the ability to see the caller's ID and therefore I can't tell what area code the are calling from.

Does that sound correct? Any work around? I want to know it's from GV and I want to know the area code of the caller.

11. AJAAY macrumors regular

If you have call screening on, it will announce the caller when you answer the call. Then have the option of either pressing 1 to answer it or 2 to send it to voicemail. So that's one way of knowing if its a call from your google voice number.

12. TableSyrup macrumors 6502

I have GV set up - had it on my EVO4G and now on my iP5

The biggest downfall is identifying it verses a normal call.

1) Yes, you can have it set up to show you your GV number, as u know
    2) Yes, you can have it set up to SCREEN for callers name (Even tho near nobody says theirs)
    3) Yes you can have it set up NOT to show GV and still SCREEN
    4) NO, you cannot NOT show GV and NOT SCREEN and still know it's GV

#4 is the bummer, and #3 isn't the best either.

I'd like it to somehow identify it's coming in through GV while still showing the callers actual number, yet, not need to answer first to hear the SCREEN in order to know it's from GV

But, I'm not sure there is any way to do this.

Would be nice if there was a way though.

For example, showing 'Google Voice' as a name and the callers actual phone number, and even better, the ability to specify a ringtone for all google voice calls.... then, it would be ideal for me.

As it sits now, if you want the caller ID - you have to do it essentially after the call, via Received or Missed or Voicemail

Almost a perfect service. Almost

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This doesn't tell me what part of the country a random recruiter is calling from.