Google Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TBRAMS, Jul 18, 2011.

1. TBRAMS macrumors member

I have had google voice for about 2 months, about a month ago I got the iPhone 4. When I go into my Virtual Voicemail on the iPhone 4 it doesn't show my voicemails. Is this bc of google voice or am i doing something wrong?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Check your Google Voice settings to see if you have Voicemail enabled for your phone there

3. JJJosh41 macrumors regular

Can someone explain what google voice actually does on the iPhone? I have had the app for a few days and whenever I try to call someone through the app (even on wifi, and even to another google voice number) it routes the call though my cell phone. I might as well just delete the app and make the call through the actual phone since that's all it seems to want to do. Anyone care to explain the point of the app and the service since?

(sorry if I am hijacking the thread, let me know if you want me to and I will make a new thread)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is a forwarding service. It obviously cannot make a phone call without utilizing the Phone app on your iPhone, because it is not a Voice over IP service. Instead of displaying your iPhone's "actual" number as given to you by AT&T (or whoever), your call appears as if it's coming from your Google Voice number. This is handy for numerous reasons which you can research online.

AFAIK you need to have a 3G connection to make a call on Google Voice. Even though you may have been in a WiFi zone, it still would have needed a cell tower to make the call.

It also gives you texting over data instead of through a texting service, as well as web access to your texts, voicemails, call log, contacts, etc.