Google voice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any Google Voice users here.

opinions on the service?

I've been using it since I purchased (and returned) a nexus one. Over all the concept is kind of cool but the execution is underwhelming. I get texted/emailed my messages which is cool, but so far most of those messages are so garbled that they make no sense. It requires listening to the message.

The bottom line is I've been doing two actions, reading/listening to get my messages which seems to defeat the purpose of the service.

anyone have similar or better experiences?

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I really only use it for those few people that I don't want to give my real number to.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Same here.

If some place demands a phone number that is the one I hand over to them. At least that way it is easier for me to filter them out.

4. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I like being able to send text messages through the website when I do not have cell phone service, or it is not appropriate to use my phone.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I use it when I'm in my cubicle all day to send out texts on a big kb. Also that's the number I post on craigslist.

I would like Skype integration (i.e. forward my calls to my skype username). That would be a killer feature.

6. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

i use my google voice number as my only number currently.

I used to have a motorola droid so integration was no problem.
    Placing calls and sending/receiving SMS was transparent.

since then i have switched back to a iphone 3GS so i dont have the nice seamless integration as android. but the new google voice mobile site for iphone is really easy to use. also the html5 voicecentral app is nice.

the biggest advantages for me are:
    -free sms
    -sms send/receive from a computer
    -can switch phones whenever i feel like
    -receive calls on a computer via my skype account (essentially turn any computer or smartphone into my cellphone)

one time my cell phone died while i was visiting some friends. no one had a motorola droid charger so i just logged into my skype account on my friends computer and was able to make and take calls with my google number.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

^^this. chat with my wife while I'm a at work, and it's much faster to type on a real keyboard.

8. tman07 macrumors regular

I use it mainly for the text to voicemail feature, and being able to check my messages on my comp.

I just have my regular line forwarded to my gv number after 4 or so rings, which then goes directly to voicemail. Pretty snazzy. I would LOVE to use it as my main number, but I dont want to go through the burden of getting all my contacts to switch my number.