Google VOIP to come?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by critic81, Jun 14, 2010.

1. critic81 macrumors regular

So I have a 3GS and I have iOS 4 installed. I was in the google app and I went to apps, then clicked gmail. It behaves as expected, where it will jump out of the google app and go into safari to open up the mobile gmail, but for a split second I see this.

[​IMG]

Now based off of this review, http://www.tipb.com/2010/06/14/ios-4-walkthrough/, it says that band is for VOIP to indicate that a call is in session or something. Maybe google already put some code in place and maybe, just maybe full google voice and latitude will be options for iOS 4.

2. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Doubtful, because as I understand Good Voice, when you dial out it actually hands your call off to the Telco and isn't really a VOIP call. Maybe for Google Talk...?

3. critic81 thread starter macrumors regular

Either way, a full fledged google app would be awesome! I really just want background latitude and a real gmail client.

4. TLewis macrumors 65816

All the signs do point to a google voip service being developed:

However, google being google, it may still take another 1-3 years before people see anything. (H*ll, it was something like 1.5-2 years before google voice entered limited beta, and IIRC it's still in limited invite-only beta after another 1+ year or so.) I don't think we'll see anything for OS4 or the near future. I'd love to be wrong, though.

(Also, there's the problem of Apple approving a google voip app. IMO, google will most likely have to go HTML5-only.)

Bleh, just saw this:

Edit: if I had to guess, I'd say that google voice will be extended into an HTML5-only google voip webpage, which will take a while. I'll guess that we're talking about another 1-2 years before we see anything "beta". So, maybe we'll have something for OS5 or OS6.