Google warning on a website for malware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraceyS/FL, May 25, 2009.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Attached Files:

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you are right that you don't need to be overly concerned. However, I still wouldn't browse to the page anyway. You are better off being safe than sorry.

And yes, Safe Browsing/Fraudulent Site Detection are both features in Safari and Firefox.

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

This happened to me the other day when I was browsing to Bob's Red Mill flour, oddly enough :rolleyes: I doubt anyone would hack that site. Anyway, I waited a day and the next day the pop up was gone.

But to answer your question, that's a google feature. I'm not sure what triggers it though.

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I figured it was probably a banner ad that was triggering it, but i wasn't going there! LOL!!

Glad to hear it's a built in feature :cool:

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Google has a list that it gets from a third party that flags suspected bad sites. A couple of months ago, there was an error when updating this list that temporarily caused every search result on Google to come back as a suspected malware site Even a Google search for Google returned the result. (I'm actually surprised doing that doesn't create some kind of rift in the space-time continuium). It was like that for about 30-40 minutes or so.

6. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

This wasn't a search though - i clicked on a link in a post (that contained the direct link, i did check that) and this is what popped up.

I did search and see about the searches popping up with errors.

I just honestly hate to see friends click on a link and get "crap" you know? Even though i guess it could be a teaching moment... "Get a Mac" ;)

7. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

Mine has a yellow triangle under it saying that The Google Safe Browsing service is unavailable.:confused: