Google Wave unveiled, new live chat medium for browsers, iPhone and Android

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by edesignuk, May 29, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Engadget.

Sounds impressive.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I've been reading more about this recently and the video demo is finally up on the wave site. I have only watched about 20 minutes of it, looks very impressive so far. Will be interesting to see how much penetration this gets and get real world experience with this.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

seems pretty cool. i'll watch the video when i'm not at work

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I think it looks needlessly confusing.

Kudos to Google for making great software that's (mostly) free, but my opinion is they could have made the interface better.. less bogged down-looking.

'course, I'm a nut for usability..

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Its hard to tell how well it works as a UI from just a video alone. As it is a shift in how emails/ims etc work in the current form it is easy to judge based on the habits we have built up using those forms of communication. It will feel very different once you are actually able to use it and see how well (or not) the UI works. Also it is worth noting this is an early developer preview so it can change wildly between now and when it is released.

7. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I agree. Seems to be a little confusing in some places. I think it will catch on though. Tons of sites are going to start embedding this stuff.

For instance. Wouldn't it be great if MacRumors worked more like this somehow?
    Think about moving seamlessly between comment posting and live chatting. Or having comments and polls span across multiple sites and blogs.

Cool stuff.

8. retroneo macrumors 6502a

It's amazing. Open source too.

Impressed that finally web apps can now outclass desktop apps. It's easy to forget that it is running inside Safari or Firefox in the demo.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Imagine the moderator issues :D!

Anyway I'm impressed. I'm admit that it didn't sound that wonderful from the description but seeing it in action it looks like it could be very useful. As per usual google seem to have put a lot of thought into it. And from a user point of view as well rather than simply a money making enterprise. Will have to see how it works in real life.

10. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Incredible that this is the biggest tech announcement of 2009. It's Apple's from closest partner. And silence around here.

Apple will certainly be building Wave clients into Mac OS X, Mobile Me and iPhone.
    Apple will build Wave servers into Mobile Me and Mac OS X Server.

If you don't understand the significance of this announcement, check out this article:

http://www.suntimes.com/business/1606282,ihnatko-google-wave-060309.article

11. dehory macrumors regular

Revolutionary, but I don't think a critical mass of attention/excitement will build until a public beta comes out.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't like this. All the spelling corrections I make would be revealed!