Google Web Fonts

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Nostromo, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Photoshop has quite a few fonts built in, but now that I'm working to create a logo for my company it's suddenly limiting.

Do you have experience with Google webfonts?

http://www.google.com/webfonts/

Do they integrate well into Photoshop?

Or is there a better option out there to get more fonts?

The thing is, I can't just go out and buy fonts left and right. I'd like to try them first, see if they are right for what I want to do.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Adobe sells professional fonts for publications both electronic and print. A tiny subset of these are included with some of its applications like Photoshop. Google provides free fonts that are optimized for the computer screen. Nobody would accuse them of being professional. Quite frankly, the 335 typeface families among the Webfonts are the crappiest that I have ever seen associated with a high-profile company. The fonts that ship with Print Shop are elegant by comparison.

3. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Thanks for your comment.

I have never looked at "PrintShop" (If you mean this $60 application).

I just bought this book about stationary design, and there are some beautiful samples of work with fonts. Very inspiring:

http://www.amazon.com/Stationery-De...897X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324005866&sr=8-1

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Honestly I'd suggest checking Font Squirrel or pay for fonts via I Love Type (they do have some very nice fonts that aren't too expensive, plus most have an online tester).

Google webfonts are just not a good choice from experience with design for identities. I'd also recommend not designing a logo in Photoshop it really needs to be a vector, if you don't have Illustrator please try Inkscape.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I was under the impression google web fonts were for embedding in your website to render html text. This wouldn't really be related to logo design.

6. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Thanks for the two links and the tip with inkscape.

I will browse the web for Inkscape tutorials.