google web pages won't load

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tyeoman, Mar 10, 2008.

1. tyeoman macrumors newbie

My macbook is running OSX 10.4.11 and recently no google pages will load, such as google.com.au gmail.com mail.gmail.com etc. When connected to the internet at uni, my macbook can access these pages. My pc at home can also access these pages, its just my macbook when connected to my home network.

Any ideas?

2. imoguy789 macrumors member

I have the same problem. I can't access google web pages, flickr, yahoo, ask.com, and the javascript for youtube is not working so youtube does not load properly. If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

3. tyeoman thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i have found the problem. In order to access the wireless at uni, they installed a vpn client. I can now access google pages when plugged in via ethernet. So it seems that the vpn client installation is preventing me from accessing google pages, friend reckons that secure client protocol is still bound to the wireless adapter.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

tried using a different browser?

if you're using safari, i seem to have lots of troubles with safari. especially with gmail.

5. imoguy789 macrumors member

yea, it doesn't work for both firefox or safari.

I just got off the phone with apple support and they said it was because google etc. updated their pages and I can't view them without the updated flash player which isnt out yet... so I deleted the flash player files in the internet plug in folders and it worked! for 5 seconds... now I'm stuck at the same place.

6. logosfails macrumors newbie

Nor on osx 5.2

Google hasn't been loading for me for about three days now. Gmail only works sporadically. Many youtube videos won't load. I can't get jayisgames.com or cnn.com. But many (most) other sites seem to load okay.

I'm running osx 5.2 and am having trouble irrespective of browser (safari, opera, or firefox). I though maybe I had a bug in the system (my computer had been freezing up and acting a bit glitchy), so I reinstalled the OS. First I tried archieving, but this didn't do any thing. Then I reinstalled the OS, this time erasing everything. I then restored my apps and files via time machine, but still no luck. I have also tried erasing the cache.

Does any one have any idea what's going on (with me or the world at large)? I find it hard to believe that google decided to implement a change that has made its site inaccesible for days on end to all of the macintosh users of the world.

Any help would be great appreciated: I am at my whits skinny little end.

7. tyeoman thread starter macrumors newbie

i just solved my problem! i was unable to access youtube, all google sites and a few other pages wouldnt load.

i removed the password from my wireless router and it all works! so for those on wireless who are unable to access some sites, try removing your wireless router password.

then try putting it back on. When i had WPA-PSK [TKIP] selected i was unable to access google etc, im going to try different types of encryption and see how i fare

8. tyeoman thread starter macrumors newbie

i just solved my problem! i was unable to access youtube, all google sites and a few other pages wouldnt load.

i removed the password from my wireless router and it all works! so for those on wireless who are unable to access some sites, try removing your wireless router password.

then try putting it back on. When i had WPA-PSK [TKIP] selected i was unable to access google etc, im going to try different types of encryption and see how i fare

9. imoguy789 macrumors member

I figured out my problem, I guess there was something wrong with my system files, so I backed up using time machine, reinstalled leopard and just transfered only the things I needed from my backup, documents, movies, music etc. without the system files. I don't know if this would fix anything, but it helped me.

10. tyeoman thread starter macrumors newbie

its odd that for one problem, there are so many different solutions!