Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google made its puck-like, mesh-network based wireless home router available in Canada this week, following availability in the U.S. since December and its U.K. launch earlier this month.

Google Wifi is made to boost internet coverage throughout any home regardless of the layout, similar to products like the Linksys Velop. It achieves this by using a multi-unit set-up in which the routers communicate with each other to create a wide area of network coverage with no dead spots.

Screen-Shot-14-800x440.jpg

The Google Wifi router aims to be easier to manage than other routers and extenders, through the use of an accompanying mobile app, which lets owners prioritize available bandwidth for certain devices in the network, control access to specific devices or groups of devices, designate network administrators, and more.

The dual-band devices also automatically select the fastest available band using machine learning algorithms that can predict busy periods on certain bands and select the optimal one accordingly.

Google Wifi in Canada starts at $179 for a single router or $439 for a pack of three. The product is available on the online Google Store as well as at Best Buy, Staples, and Walmart, with more retailers in Canada to follow.

(via TechCrunch.)

Article Link: Google Wifi Mesh-Network Router Now Available in Canada

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Puck-like and Canada is a clear winner :D (A reference to the game of hockey).
Still won't buy this Google product but thumbs up to their marketing team.

Comment

jacksmith21006

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
i wish apple would take the router business seriously

Wish they would just have a router business

"Apple Abandons Development of Wireless Routers"

Reported by Bloomberg and others last November.

Replaced our AirPort Extremes last Christmas with the Google WiFi Mesh and really like the product. Google WiFi really reminds me of an Apple product with an excellent user experience. Setting up is really simple and then love the app that is included with the controls.

BTW, would be careful with network hardware no longer being developed being used if security is important to you. Last AirPort update was in late 2016 with 7.7.8 and nothing since. We have a very significant Broadcom wifi SoC hack exposed in March 2017 which we did get a patch for our iPhones in early April but nothing for any AirPort devices.

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2017/04/over-air-exploiting-broadcoms-wi-fi_4.html

Excellent article. But look at the SoC with the security issue. Then look at the AirPort Extreme teardown.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPort+Extreme+A1521+Teardown/15044

"Broadcom BCM53019 router SOC with gigabit switch"

I really struggle to understand why Apple has not patched and offer a firmware update as there are many, many AirPort devices still being used.

It is not even clear if the far bigger security issue with the Broadcom SoC has been patched on the AirPort. This is where you use "special ethertype value - 0x890D"

Basically broadcom overloaded the ethertype to use for metadata generated internally by their software but forgot to filter for the type coming from the outside. Which is just insane but unclear if patched in the AirPort. We know the second was not as the iOS patch came out in early April and no patches at all for ANY AirPort devices!

Last edited:
Reactions: V.K.
Comment

thewolfro

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
1. There are cheaper and (much) better alternatives, Ubiquiti comes to mind.

I think this Google router is targeted more towards people that what to replace their old (unfortunately) outdated apple router.

2. I don't trust Google.

Indeed Ubiquiti is an option but it is not for everyone. You need to know some networking in order to set it up (i got 3 APs myself and i am very happy).

I do not trust google eitger but since US internet providers are now able to sell customer data anyway..does it really matter if what google does? Luckly i do not live in US.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Certainly not cheap, but they serve their purpose, especially when you have low reception areas and they extend rather far.
Definitely not cheap for Canadians. Good lord. We get it for $299 (3 pack). If I'm Canadian, I feel a trip across the border might be in order.
1. There are cheaper and (much) better alternatives, Ubiquiti comes to mind.
Which mesh networks are you referring to as cheaper and much better? Certainly not Ubiquiti's Amplifi Mesh. Maybe you're referring to something other than a mesh network.

Reactions: Relentless Power
Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Indeed Ubiquiti is an option but it is not for everyone. You need to know some networking in order to set it up (i got 3 APs myself and i am very happy).

I do not trust google eitger but since US internet providers are now able to sell customer data anyway..does it really matter if what google does? Luckly i do not live in US.

Ubiquiti's Amplifi is not hard to set up and quite a bit cheaper.

Comment

thewolfro

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009

ok i see. My fault though you were referring to the more "enterprise grade" Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro (those are the ones i got) but indeed Amplifi seems more on par with this google router in the post.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Plenty of good mesh routers out there but still wish Apple was still a player in the router market.

Comment

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I can't say I trust this thing. The only reason Google would expand into this market is if it compliments their core business, which is data collection and advertiing.

Reactions: entropi
Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Definitely not cheap for Canadians. Good lord. We get it for $299 (3 pack). If I'm Canadian, I feel a trip across the border might be in order.

Which mesh networks are you referring to as cheaper and much better? Certainly not Ubiquiti's Amplifi Mesh. Maybe you're referring to something other than a mesh network.

I replied to someone with the answer at the same time you posted yours, it's under your post, yes it's the Amplifi Mesh I was talking about.

I can't say I trust this thing. The only reason Google would expand into this market is if it compliments their core business, which is data collection and advertiing.

That's why I also don't trust them, it's easy for them to install "additional" software in this device.

Comment

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

I didn't do a lot of research, but on the Ubiquiti site, the router and two access points comes to 350 bucks USD. That puts it well above 500 dollars Canadian for this, even before taxes and shipping. That, and options for securing one in Canada are slim.

I guess for now I'll stick to my trusty Apple Extreme, for all that some of the things I've read here today about security concerns and obsolete technology scare me.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I replied to someone with the answer at the same time you posted yours, it's under your post, yes it's the Amplifi Mesh I was talking about.
But where are you seeing Amplifi Mesh being cheaper? I was looking at possibly going to a mesh network around Xmas. Both Google and Amplifi were priced around $300. Just checked Amazon. They're both still around $300. I thought about going with Plume which was much cheaper - $180/3pk $ or $330/6pk. I didn't pull the trigger because they were only available through Plume's online store. I have a fairly firm "no touch/no buy" policy on electronics.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
But where are you seeing Amplifi Mesh being cheaper? I was looking at possibly going to a mesh network around Xmas. Both Google and Amplifi were priced around $300. Just checked Amazon. They're both still around $300. I thought about going with Plume which was much cheaper - $180/3pk $ or $330/6pk. I didn't pull the trigger because they were only available through Plume's online store. I have a fairly firm "no touch/no buy" policy on electronics.

I guess I messed up a bit, it's $439 CANADIAN:oops:
I can get them from EuroDK.com for US $320

Reactions: 69Mustang
Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Unless these guys can be hard wired together, I'm reluctant to do any sort of mesh networking. Wireless forwarding sucks, especially while streaming HD (let alone 4K)

Comment

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Unless these guys can be hard wired together, I'm reluctant to do any sort of mesh networking. Wireless forwarding sucks, especially while streaming HD (let alone 4K)
The mesh for all intensive purposes wired. Uses a dedicated wireless channel seperate from the Wifi devices for hub interconnection, the tri band nomenclature. Also uses routing and burst modes to communicate. Far better then extending a Wifi network and very close to wired at substantially less costs. Adds additional features for management and reliability as a bonus.

Comment

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014

Bingo.

As much as I enjoy and trust their cloud software solutions like Calendar and Gmail, no way I am going to give them the keys to the castle.

I got a set of Netgear Orbi instead and have been VERY pleased.

Went from 5mbps average with my "ancient" Airport Express, to 250mbps average with the Orbi system. I HIGHLY recommend!

Comment

WarDialer

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
San Jose, CA

Why don't they stay in their *superior* country and pay their over-taxed over-regulated prices like a good Patriotic Citizen of Canada?

I keep hearing the ruling class tell me paying taxes is patriotism. And Canada is better than the USA, I am repeatedly told. It doesn't make sense why they want to skip out and come here to buy our products that were regulated by our government for compliance which is probably inferior to whatever wild magic Canadian's version of the FCC does that makes their stuff cost more.

Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The mesh for all intensive purposes wired. Uses a dedicated wireless channel seperate from the Wifi devices for hub interconnection, the tri band nomenclature. Also uses routing and burst modes to communicate. Far better then extending a Wifi network and very close to wired at substantially less costs. Adds additional features for management and reliability as a bonus.

Hmm. That's tempting then. Do you have a preferred brand/model?

Comment

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Hmm. That's tempting then. Do you have a preferred brand/model?
No specific product. Most of the products fall into two catagories. One, user friendly, easy setup, fewer user options. Works well for most home or small business users. Two, less user friendly, more challenging setup, more configuration options. A good choice if ones Wifi needs are more complex. This thread has several good suggestions based their experience following the two examples. Hope that helps.

Comment

nitramluap

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2015
Surely Apple will enter this space despite 'leaving it' not long ago - I'm guessing with a Siri/Homekit component.

I'd rather give Apple my money for this sort of hardware... and certainly not Google!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.