Google WILL DEFINITELY bid for US wireless spectrum

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Nov 16, 2007.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Reg.

Lucky buggers in the states, if they get it this is going to be good. Would be nice to see Google buy up the band currently running our (UK) analogue TV signals when the switch to digital happens, leaving it vacant.

2. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

Cool! I know what the advanced wireless network is too. :p Hmm! 802.16, I believe.. 20 mile radius.. Pretty soon we don't need anything but a wireless connection for all our computers, notebooks and desktops alike..

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Is it just me, or does there really seem any point to cable anymore (in the uk)?

Yes it'll be a few years before we have wifi blankets but still, won't that pretty much kill off a HUGE amount of customers, which would result in a huge loss of jobs from the big providers? just a thought.

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wireless technology as a whole has a long long way to go before it can compete with what cable can provide so far as home services are concerned.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I guess, btw i forgot to add in dsl users too, surely the wifi blanket will take out the segment of users who are on £4.99/5gb a month packages?