Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Streaming is THE future of music. Nothing else can touch it. Nothing comes remotely close. Don't blame google (or apple) at all for entering that market. To ignore it would be lunacy.

He was being sarcastic/giving the typical response some forum members have no matter what X company does.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Wearable computing was dreamed up many years before Google existed. Same with self driving cars.

You didn't respond to leading innovation in email and calendars? Are they still sitting on their asses or is it more important to build self driving cars than changing the way we interact with email and calendars??

Nothing apple ever did wasn't thought of or actually created decades before apple's version.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I know! Like lipstick on a pig, they just don't get it! The customer doesn't know what they want until Apple shows it to us. Steve never would've allowed this.

It just works!

I don't like using meaningless, hackneyed phrases fed to me by a corporate behemoth. I prefer to Think Different.

Oh wait...I mean.....Oops :apple:

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
As long as I don't have to start paying for services I access for free now on YouTube, I could care less what they do. I'm perfectly happy with Spotify until I can see how the Apple service pans out.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Of course they are.. What a bunch of tools. Recently they seem to be destroying any shed of credibility IMO, announcement after announcement. Since Steve departed and Eric got a pair (and a voice) they have been flogging whatever they can and louder than ever. Eric's becoming the new Balmer.. :rolleyes:

Prancing around North Korea like he's the golden child of peace and freedom, what a walking contradiction. IMO another 5-10 years and even the novice user will be weary of interacting with them..

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
15k songs....mm....with a 4 min average length, that 60k min..thats 1000 hours...or 42 days of continuous music :eek:
good for you mate :D
yeah thanks it's ~48 days :) I'm a music hoarder and it keeps piling up every month, at least it's very organized lol

ammonkapow

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
I used Google Wave and I thought it was great. They killed it and are using imap for gmail with a few custom features.

Faster cheap Internet? How is that an innovation rather than iteration? We can do the exact same thing as everyone else, but faster and cheaper? That's not innovation.

Iterations....

We have had AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail, none of which have changed the way we deal with commication or email in the last 15 years.

Where are the disruptive innovations that change the way we use mobile computing? I welcome it from Google or MS or Apple. None have done this so far.

Again, Google Wave would have, but it was not adopted. They didn't "kill it", it was abandoned by the public.

It is valid to say that faster internet is iterative, but look at the big picture. Something needs to kick-start fiber adoption. If Google Fiber gets even one cable company to roll it out as well, then it won't be long until the whole US is fiber. Imagine the business and technology implications of that! It would be like galvanized rubber tires were for automobiles. Sure it's just 'better rubber', but it started a revolution.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Paid music video subscriptions? I'm sorry I didn't realize that it's 1993 and music videos are still cool.

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
I love Google Play. It has allowed me to rip all of my old CDs and hear any song on any device and for free. Now I just need to get rid of those old CDs. Taking up way too much room.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Future posters: please repeat this phrase 50 times throughout the rest of this thread to make sure everyone knows this. It can't be stated enough.

Actually, I'm making fun of all the people who kept saying this in the last Google thread. Think there were about 300 different people who posted it verbatim.

You'd go through the thread. Someone would say something, another guy would reply, then you'd see it.

"Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks."

Three or four posts would pass, and...

"Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks."

It was kinda scary.

I know! Like lipstick on a pig, they just don't get it! The customer doesn't know what they want until Apple shows it to us. Steve never would've allowed this.

It just works!

Well then I'd like to be the first to add, while Google may be giving their service away free, Apple makes way more profit than Google. And as a consumer, that is what is most important to me.:D

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
wow google is very aggressive now, with the pixel chromebook, opening stores (rumored) and now this. I don't think they are trying to compete with apple. the want to be apple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
wow google is very aggressive now, with the pixel chromebook, opening stores (rumored) and now this. I don't think they are trying to compete with apple. the want to be apple.

They are bigger than Apple. They have all the knowledge and information in existence in their data centers. They are the mother ship.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
They are bigger than Apple. They have all the knowledge and information in existence in their data centers. They are the mother ship.

Yeah, I agree. millions of people use google services and products. I'm sure they have their own projected analyst and sees where the growth and revenue might come.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Google seems to be firing on all cylinders as of lately.

1. Google Now competes favorably with Siri.

2. Google Music competes favorably with iTunes Match (is free and has a web interface that you can use anywhere).

3. Google now makes some of the prettiest iOS software (G+, Gmail and YouTube app are really nice on either platform).

4. Google Glass seems to be moving from a pie-in-the-sky type prototype to an actual product.

5. Nexus 4 is a really nice smartphone for a crazy unsubsidized price (Is an iPhone 5 really worth $300 more than a Nexus 4?).

6. They're rumored to start building retail outlets.

If they manage to do something with Google TV this year, I might actually be impressed with the company.

The problem with Apple is you never know what they're up to.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
In before someone tries to say that Google is just copying Apple.Note that they obviously can't be copying Apple (yet) because Apple hasn't actually released any such service.
Why is this relevant to anything? Seriously... who cares *who* is first at something these days? Streaming music services and content is not some "patentable" domain exclusive to Google or Apple. So there's really nobody to "copy".

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
How about making Google Play playable on iOS instead of crashing every time? Google Play is crap playing through Safari browser on your iPhone, why not make a app for it?:confused::mad:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I still buy CDs. Go me!

Me to. If you shop around online CD's are usually cheaper and you can always rip them into iTunes for the best quality sound lossless tracks.

If Apple ever start selling CD quality lossless or better than CD quality 24 bit tracks then I'll happily switch.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How about making Google Play playable on iOS instead of crashing every time? Google Play is crap playing through Safari browser on your iPhone, why not make a app for it?:confused::mad:

You say that like Google doesn't have 80+ crap products. They have docs, search, and email, and maps is okay (it has terrible performance compared to Apple maps, but at least the data is pretty reliable.) I've used many of Google's other services and the great majority of them are crap that have embarrassingly terrible cross-integration.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Yeap, Google has a scan and match service similar to Apple, but the biggest difference is that is FREE. Apple should at least give users 2 years of Music Match per device per account.
I have about 15K songs in my Google Music app and can hear my music from my iPhone, android tablet, mac, pc, etc for free.

Actually, the biggest difference to me? This:
"One caveat: The high-quality versions of the songs can't be downloaded for local use — only streamed online. So if you had visions of replacing your old 1999-era, 96 kbps CD rips with shiny new tracks freshly formed by Google, you're in for a disappointment."

iTunes Match saved me hundreds. I took all my old Purchased content, before 256k drm free, and converted them.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Yeap, Google has a scan and match service similar to Apple, but the biggest difference is that is FREE. Apple should at least give users 2 years of Music Match per device per account.
I have about 15K songs in my Google Music app and can hear my music from my iPhone, android tablet, mac, pc, etc for free.
I just discovered Google Music the same day I let my iTunes match sub renew. I've been using Google Music on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 all day and love it. I'll still use iTunes Match on my iPhones but I probably won't renew next year. I'm moving away from iPhones and my next phone in a year or so will probably be the next Google Nexus. I like the way Google integrates everything.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
LOL. I'm looking for the day when Macrumors front page contains more stories about Google's 'innovations' than Apple related news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.