Google's G2 (AKA Magic) released at MWC 09

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katuls, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Katuls macrumors member

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i am super excited to see all the new phones that are coming out at MWC, android is starting to blossom. I want to see the how apple deals with these other companies coming out with some very competitive devices. Cant wait till summer. I know they the glass for the new screens are being manufactured. (Arsenic-Free)!!

3. Katuls thread starter macrumors member

Iphone will always have the ingenuity and uniqueness. But as far as a true 'business phone' and actual productive apps, the new phones coming out bypass them in that spectrum.

4. shvartsies macrumors regular

lol that dude totally jacked that phone at 2:05

5. Katuls thread starter macrumors member

LOL wow. didn't catch that. He did

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Blossom? Really? Only one of of all the phones announced at MWC was for Android. :eek:

7. Miker2k macrumors regular

Looks nice, competition is great... everyone is forced to innovate in order to stay relevant. The consumer wins.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Sweet. The pocketing and the phone.

I'm sure this is also going to have 10x the function of the current iPhone too. Cook, are you watching this? Your competitors are passing you by.

Nevertheless, there are still going to be people "mad" at this phone, call it an iPhone rip-off, say it sucks, call Google evil, etc...

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It's not slated to come to the US, at least in it's current form as it has only supports European 3G bands, not North American bands or T-Mobile's 3G bands. Also, if this is the G2, it would be pretty underwhelming, seeing as it's basically a G1 without a physical keyboard, but that's not to say it isn't a nice phone.

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

This looks SWEET!!!! Hopefully this will encourage Apple to step it up and at least give us some of what we've been asking for. It's good to see competition in non-Samsung Instinct etc. form.

Screw cupcake, I'm waiting for MUFFIN!!! :D

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not Google's handset, it's the HTC "Dream". It's running Android but Google doesn't make the phone.

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

That phone does look really cool, there is one thing though that it's not going to ever beat the iPhone in... being a music player. :D Isn't that what the iPhone started as? Best music phone ever! Now it's been taken out of it's element, doing just fine at it, but still. There are almost no iPod competitors, and thus it's not likely anyone is going to beat the iPhone in music experience.

With that said, the Magic looks really cool. I like the idea of Open Source software for a phone too.

14. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

The only way I can see any one of these new'er phones coming in close competition with the iphone is "price".

Sure the original iPhone initially sold for what...600 bucks? That time has come and gone. It was AMAZING when it was first released and a lot of folks were willing to pay whatever for such a newly innovative top-of-the-line phone.

Now their selling refurbed 3G's for 99 bucks and you can get a brand new one for $200 with the same capabilities as the $300 one with half the capacity.

Anyone been to Best Buy lately? Ever look at all the really nice Nokia's and HTC's they have in there? Yea? Well check the price on these phones that come unlocked. Sure they're really nice phones with A LOT of capabilities that even the iPhone cannot surpass but h3LL, they're 6-7-800 bucks! Who's rushing out to buy these? In fact I've never even seen anyone over looking at them besides me because I find all cell phones interesting and want to see them in person maybe, I dunno.

Like someone said above, if any of these ever make it stateside, will they be picked up and subsidized by a carrier or will they just hit the BB display's and really only sell to the smartphone junkies like some of us?

Don't get me wrong, I would truly LOVE to see some competition against the iPhone. A lot of these new phones I think have what it takes power and functionality wise, I just can't see them selling for under 500 bucks or lower. Maybe this G2 and the Pre will set things in motion this year for a real fight.

15. Miker2k macrumors regular

You raise an interesting point. The smartphone market is certainly a niche market. However, we're also undergoing a shift where the traditional smarthphone is dying, being replaced mobile entertainment devices that oh ya, also make phone calls. How many pure smartphones left? Even RIM is putting cameras in their Blackberrys. It seems that all these app stores may spell the end for a business only type device.

16. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

So true.

17. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

It's his, he is first trying to put the SIM in it but then the other one is ready so he sets his down.

18. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i actually might buy an android and stuff.
    im pretty happy with my ipod touch and i dont want an iphone cuz texting on a touchscreen is a trouble for me and i like physical ones. well.. its either the G1 or a blackberry curve.. hmm

19. rs13 macrumors member

its the htc magic not the dream

20. ex8886 macrumors member

21. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Please put [sarcasm] tags in your post to reassure viewers that you are in fact JOKING!! THAT VIDEO WAS SO SAD. Orientation keeps messing up and all you see is the browser, nothing impressive at all. The thing even looks weak. What's your hard on all about?

22. Doju macrumors 68000

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see that as very appealing. Maybe if I didn't have any iPhone, that'd be my second go-to, but I'm not too interested.

23. jmccray macrumors regular

Yeah, I was extremely UNIMPRESSED!!!! Looked like they just had trouble all the way around showing off the phone's capabilities. I couldn't see myself spending hours upon hours using this phone.

24. northy014 macrumors regular

To be honest, what with Android having been released more than a year ago, I had been hoping that some more manufacturers would have been capable of releasing a device. HTC have done everything right - but surely they don't have an R&D budget on the same scale as, say, Samsung?