Google's Gone Dark

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tankgunk, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

If you haven't noticed, Google's dark.
    http://www.google.com/

Scared me for a second, I actually checked to see if I'd inverted my screen (command+option+control+8), but it turns out it's to promote Earth Hour. Basically, they want everyone to turn off the lights from 8:00pm to 9:00pm in their time zone on Saturday March 29, 2008 (today/tomorrow, I hate time zones). Kind of a neat idea.

Sorry if you've already seen this or have heard about Earth Hour, but I thought I'd let those who don't regularly use google now, mostly because the search results page doesn't seem to be black. And I'm a fan of doing simple things like this to help out our planet. So long as we have to live here, we might as well treat it well.

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Too bad blacking out Google doesn't actually save power. But a good way to promote the idea. At least they are trying to seem green.

3. Tankgunk thread starter macrumors regular

Tankgunk

The whole idea is to let people know that Earth Hour exists, the same reason I made this thread. I get the feeling that Google is more interested in helping Earth than it is in improving it's image. Or maybe Google is just another company trying to sell itself to us. Who knows.

4. jus407 macrumors member

Yeah i like the idea i think its a great a company like google is taking initiative to help awareness about such a cause that has actually had little influences in the government when it should be a much more tlaked about topic and much more should be done if not for the planet then for securing a better energy source for our future...

5. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I am just glad that laptops have batteries, and that my battery backups last longer than an hour. Ill have the lights out while still being on...:eek: :cool:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'll participate in Earth Hour tonight. In fact, I'll participate from around 1 AM to 9 AM. Ooooooooooh.

7. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

hats off to 'em for trying. we'll participate.

8. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Yeah, let me know if the Earth's temperature goes down. :rolleyes: Then everyone can gather around the campfire for a group hug and then go out and hug all the trees.

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

10. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

This seems like a great idea. I guess I'll do it tonight. :cool:

11. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

Actually it does, a white background uses more power to be displayed (not by much) but because google is so popular having the homepage with a black background actually does save power.http://ecoiron.blogspot.com/2007/01/black-google-would-save-3000-megawatts.html

Edit: there is also a black version of google just for this, shows how much energy saved at the bottom.http://Blackle.com/

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Maybe on a CRT, but not on LCDs. Read here for more info: http://techlogg.com/content/view/360/31/

13. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

Many brand new PC's still come with CRT's as standard,and some people still prefer CRT's over anything else(I can't imagine why though lol), so it's still a good idea.

14. The Past macrumors 6502

Wouldn't the earth be better off if people did not need giant jets as personal planes? Worth three earth hours right there... Google is very good at making people see what it wants them to see.

15. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

No, just a realist. Please let me know if the Earth's temp goes down. If you want to make a difference, tell city and local governments to stop cutting down trees to make new strip malls that will go vacant in ten years.

16. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

no ****. re-use the ones the empty ones or tear them down and build over those.

lol. it probably won't. and if anything i think the "warming" is cyclical and a natural occurance at best and not so man made as others would have us believe.
    but for me as a very moderate republican it isn't about global warming as much as it is about american gluttony and selfishness.

we pollute. we're not the only ones. i bet we're not even the worst polluters.
    that said we do need to set an example.
    pick up your trash, carpool or commute when you can, and turn off the lights you aren't using. don't be a selfish pig. :apple:

17. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

18. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

So do I. You can see the whole night sky without all that light pollution.

19. Tankgunk thread starter macrumors regular

Tankgunk

Who cares if the power plants are still generating the same amount of power? I think the whole point is for us all to do something to acknowledge that we care about our planet and future generations.

Also, I live in the middle of nowhere and enjoy seeing all the stars, and I would be sad if it didn't stay that way.

20. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I won't be able to do this, as I'll be recording an album at that time. I will however turn my lights off for an hour sometime today (just not when I'm recording).

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Their HQ has one of the biggest solar arrays in the valley, possibly in the US I think.

22. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

I haven't had my lights on all day, there's plenty of light coming in through my window, along with a nice sea breeze. :)

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Would be more impressive if they turned off their ads for an hour and stopped pushing global mass consumption of new and disposable products.

But no, you'll still get the entreaties to buy yet another cell phone, vacation package, new car, or "male enhancement" pills.

24. Tankgunk thread starter macrumors regular

Tankgunk

I'd like living near the sea for a bit, but eventually I'd want to be back where I live now. Nice valley with lots of trees. We still have more than a foot of snow.

It takes some impressive infrastructure to be a powerful search engine, and it has to be payed for somehow. I personally appreciate the fact that I can search for free and just ignore the "sponsored links".

25. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s