Google's New Satellite

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacFan782040, Oct 11, 2008.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

And the very first photo it took? A shot of my school, Kutztown University, a mid-sized state school in PA. :D

Full article: http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/10/geoeye-1-super.html

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Wow, that is one high-quality image for a satellite shot. Hopefully this leads to some greater quality Google Maps and Earth images.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

That's excellent - hopefully they will start updating some areas that have really low-res coverage and updating areas with older images, too. I use Google Earth about 6 hours a day - glad to see this.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What do you do that requires 6 hours on Google Earth? Or are you just bored, because I could only look at things from space for about an hour a day out of boredom.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Same here, they have finally gotten to updating a bunch of the images around where I live. For the longest time the image was about two years old and was in the winter, so everything seemed gray. I'm glad that they updated the image, but it is nowhere near the quality of the image of the one in the article.

6. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Why do you use it 6 hours a day?

7. iGary Guest

iGary

We use it to make sure the facilities we list (mainly marinas and marine service facilities) are properly located on the government charts we reproduce in our publications.

I also use the EarthNC layover for to ensure our navigational directions are correct. It's a Google Earth overlay of nautical chart data.

I loves me some Google Earth. :)

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ahhh, makes sense now.

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The article didn't explain why it started at your U. Is it because it's smack dab in the middle of the poles?

10. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Nobody seemed to know either, until I found this Washington Post article today. Rumors were originally that a KU alumni was working for the Google project, but turns out it seems like it was a stroke of luck...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washbizblog/2008/10/geoeyes_eye_on_kutztown.html

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

First comment I saw on the WP article:

Pretty funny. Well, congrats to Kutztown! It's always nice to see your school in the spotlight for something positive.:)

Edit:

PS. Just saw your sig. I opened the Millennium at Blue Knob. I think that's pretty close, right? Beautiful country out there.

12. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Blue Knob (if you're talking about the Ski Resort) is on the other side of the state, near Pittsburgh. The Poconos has resorts like Shawnee and Camelback. It's still nice up there, but the last 15 years have turned it into a traffic-congested, crime-filled area from all of the people visiting and moving in from NY and NJ. Kutztown is in a rural section between Allentown and Reading and is about 90 miles NW of Philly. We made national headlines last year b/c a student was beaten up and killed on our main street, a block away from my apartment. It was the first homicide in the town in 30 years. Nice to see Kutztown back in the news for a better reason. :) Take care.

13. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Actually it's GeoEye's satellite. Google is just the biggest vendor for the imagery so far.

I would just settle for imagery that shows this year's local roads instead of last year's.

14. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

soon we won't be logging on to the world wide web, we will be logging onto google.

their taking over slowly

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Next step, world domination....

Oh wait a second...