Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This may have been part of Google's previous iPhone optimized announcement, but Google's Mobile Blog discusses the launch of the iPhone optimized version of Picasa, along with some screenshots.

01-home-2-1.png

Today, I'm happy to tell you that we've just released this new iPhone interface for Picasa. After you go to Picasa on your iPhone and log in, you can quickly see all your albums that you've uploaded to Picasa Web. If you click on any of the albums, you can get a full view of your picture with comments from your friends. Or you can click on Slideshow, sit back and watch the pictures scroll. You can also search for photos in your album or through community photos. Finally, with one of my favorite features, you can view your friends' albums through favorites.

Picasa is Google's photo sharing web application with support for Mac and Windows.

Article Link

iLeah

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Might be a stupid question...

but, will this also be available for the iPod Touch? Or just for the iPhone?

Thanks!

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada
And don't think they're doing this out of iPhone love...

Remember, Google's new Android mobile platform is using Webkit as its browser rendering engine, so it'll look the same on Android phones as well.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
I'd be more impressed if they'd come out with a way to upload FROM your iPhone. I guess I'll have to write that part myself. :)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
...So now they have Picasa for every platform EXCEPT OS X... c'mon Google!

And, it just occurred to me.. since there's screen shots, does this mean that Google hacks their iPhones too!?

mingisback

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
United States
...So now they have Picasa for every platform EXCEPT OS X... c'mon Google!

And, it just occurred to me.. since there's screen shots, does this mean that Google hacks their iPhones too!?

It's a web page... no hack needed.

And google was smart enough 'not' to write the Picasa app for OSX since we already have a better tool. (iPhoto) So... instead they wrote an iPhoto plug-in that lets you upload your pics to Picasa Web Albums just like the PeCee app.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
It's a web page... no hack needed.

And google was smart enough 'not' to write the Picasa app for OSX since we already have a better tool. (iPhoto) So... instead they wrote an iPhoto plug-in that lets you upload your pics to Picasa Web Albums just like the PeCee app.

totally not what he meant .... google had to hack their phone to take a screen shot, not to get picasa on the phone ...

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
http://picasa.google.com/features/requirements.html

Windows and Linux get the love, and now there's even a version for iPhone (as the web is the official SDK right now) but not OS X. Just some crappy plug in for iPhoto, which just about any image sharing service has.

Well, no. This isn't a picassa program at all either. It's just an iphone optimized web page. No uploading or any other picassa features.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well, no. This isn't a picassa program at all either. It's just an iphone optimized web page. No uploading or any other picassa features.

Whatever, I don't feel like debating semantics (and you're probably right anyway ;) ) my point is that I want a "real" alternative to iPhoto.

mikey.f

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
Slovakia
And how would it differ from iPhoto? And how will you move your photos back and forth between the two? Will you be able to upload to .Mac from it? Will you be able to browse your Picasa library from iMovie and other apps?

For one thing, as far as I know, Picasa doesn't create thumbnails and "small" versions of every photo in your Library, taking up space on your hdd. This might not be an issue for those of you with large HDDs, but on an 80gig MBP, it kinda sucks that my iPhoto library takes up so much space just because it needs to have saved like 3 versions of one photo.

I believe Picasa for Mac would be kick-ass. I can only hope they will once come up with something. I am not the biggest iPhoto fan, for the reason mentioned above (but other than that, it's a nice app ;) ).

kdarling

macrumors P6
I think it's a good thing that Google is waking up to making mobile web pages that look good. Hopefully they'll spread the love to lots of other devices.

Of course, all these pages make a mockery of Jobs' original naive comment about the iPhone "showing the real internet, not the mobile version". Small screen devices cry out for custom mobile app versions. That's why the mobile net exists. Even for iPhone.

(The number one rule for mobile apps is: no horizontal scrolling! The iPhone native apps obey this rule. Mobile web pages are intended to do the same.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.