Google's Pixel Buds translation will change the world

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by BigHonkingDeal, Oct 7, 2017.

1. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

This looks interesting......

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/04/google-pixel-buds-translation-change-the-world/

2. mclld macrumors 68020

It is a cool and amazing tech but it most certainly will not change the world

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Agreed. Very cool but it won’t have a signficant impact until it’s available beyond Pixelbud users, a number that is likely top be quite small for the immediate future. Potential is certainly there though.

4. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Just imagine the number of international travelers, foreign exchange students, etc. The uptake will be huge. Google should conveniently have a Pixel kiosk or store at every international airport.

5. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Agree, and I will be totally shocked if it works in real life as well as on stage. When you consider all the variants of languages, accents, slang, mixed language, background noise, fast talking, multiple people talking... a pair of earbuds seems a bit far fetched. I have been to a lot of countries and generally the places I've most needed to do this are ordering food or asking for directions. So now you mix in menu item names and building/street names... a lot of proper nouns that aren't likely in a translation library.

The one place I could see it useful in my own experience is when I was a key note speaker at a Latin American conference. I spoke in English and had an interpreter do the translation. But I was unable to really participate in the other sessions at the conference because they were all in spanish. If I was able to pop in these earbuds and listen in english, that would have been cool. But again, the sessions had lots of technical terms, acronyns, etc.. so I doubt these earbuds would do a very good job.

So cool tech, but I don't think its changing the world. Plus, trying to communicate with people when traveling abroad is part of the fun!

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

It almost certainly will be. Google doesn't usually limit services to a proprietary platform.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Lol, do they have anything to translate “teenager” for us parents?

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I have high hopes for the translating tech google is employing.

It truly does have the potential to make the world smaller and change how we view and interact with other cultures.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

For me it goes even beyond translating. It is clear that the next ten years of phones and related tech will depend heavily on software as we use up all the space on the phones. While other companies and manufacturers struggle with services, Google is actually innovating in the world of software and AI.

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I think the next jump forward will come in wearables like this. The Assistant is actually running in the Pixelbuds—moving the computational power into discrete wearables seems like the next logical step.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Friends don't let friends use online translators.

One of the reasons people *study* a foreign language is because of the cultural references inherent in a language. What we have here, is the equivalent of a phrase book and quickly looking up each word in a sentence. Sometimes that works, most times you sound foolish.

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Looking foolish and using it as learning experience is better than being completely ignorant and oblivious.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Yes, but who is actually using this as a learning experience rather than a shortcut?

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The same people that cared about learning another language to begin with.

For everyone else it’s just a tool to help get around on holiday for a week.

Either is better than zero ability to communicate.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

And honestly, someone in their 20s isn't going to learn more than one new language if any. We already know languages are hard to learn as you enter your 20s and 30s and older and you're simply not going to learn more than one.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    So you should walk around a foreign country not understanding anything and not knowing anything? Sounds like a great opportunity to learn.

16. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Itranslate voice app.
    Have had it on my iPhone all summer.
    It’s also available for android.

17. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I am really thinking about getting these to use with my iPhone. I'm wondering if it will have the same functionality.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

If you're on iPhone, use airpods. cross platform stuff is kind of shaky

19. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I'm not the biggest fan of the airpods unfortunately. But I do agree sometimes cross platform has its hiccups.

20. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

You can use pixel earbuds with iphone? Anyway, it changed my life.

21. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Could anyone please explain why does such technology require dedicated hardware beyond the phone/tablet itself?

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not at all. But it doesn't take a lot to learn a few phrases before taking a trip. Anything else is just lazy.

What do you think tourists have done for centuries?

23. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Or you could study a little before hand so you don't have to depend solely on an online translation service that makes funny errors all the time ;). You don't need to be fluent to get by

I think these devices are great and will be the future of communication, but I wouldn't rely on them yet as the only means to get around in a country. You need to know enough to know if it's telling you something ridiculous.

24. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

It doesn’t you can download an app on your iPhone or android that does the same thing.