Googlesoft in OS X Process Tree

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chainchain, Sep 27, 2008.

1. chainchain macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed a process that's been hogging up a lot of CPU called "GoogleSoft". When ever I kill the process (via the console), it just pops up again, and I can't figure out where it's coming from. I don't have any Google software installed on my Mac (10.5.5) and I've search online and I couldn't come up with anything. Anyone else seen this too?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Open the activity monitor and click on the process you're talking about then click on inspect. Then click on open files and ports. That will list the paths of all the files associated with it.

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

How about a Google widget? Do you have one of those?

4. chainchain thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out, I had Google Earth and Google Notifier installed a while ago and although I uninstalled both applications, remnants where still running on my system.

After running ps -ef | grep GoogleSoft (thanks Peace for the Activity Monitor tip) from the console, I found out that this stray process was actually coming from: ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon.

Since I had already uninstall all my Google applications, I wasn't able to get rid of the Updater in the way Google recommends.

My end solution was to rm -rf ~/Library/Google and then reboot my system.