GoogleUpdateInstaller

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TomyDingo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. TomyDingo macrumors member

TomyDingo

The Google Update Installer keeps popping up on my mac. It asks for my computer password. When I type it in, it doesn't install anything, just shows that I have Google Notifier & Google Update installed. I have uninstalled both programs and the pop up will still come up. I have even tried using Lingon to disable the google service. Any tips?

2. terrywfoster macrumors regular

Mine started this today. I don't recall ever installing anything google on here.

I won't enter my password for it to update. I can't seem to find out hot to stop it from updating. i'd like to remove anything google on here.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Fully removing Google "extras" from your machine can be frustrating. After installing Google Desktop I started noticing it running a lot of crap. Google Chrome seems to occasionally pop up a update checker too. I did eventually remove it all. It involved a bit of Finder searching and digging to find all its install locations. Make sure to set the Finder's find to look at System Files as well when searching things out. Do a search for "google" and pay attention to the folders that those files are in and see if you can trash the entire folder all together. This will help delete files that don't include "google" in the name of the file.

4. PaulMoore macrumors regular

Agh! Found this thread today as GoogleUpdateInstaller has been popping up every couple of hours... SO ANNOYING...

5. Ryvita macrumors member

I don't mind automatic updates, but checking every hour or two and asking for my password? It could at least check first if anything is available to actually download. I find that verrrry annoying, I guess I have to uninstall the uploader for Picasa :mad:

6. innerwealth macrumors newbie

I think this works - I did it with so far - no problems

You can uninstall the update software. There is an uninstaller packed inside of "GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle".

Just go to the terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
    sudo /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/Resources/install.py --uninstall

7. lng444 macrumors newbie

GoogleUpdateInstaller... frequency control??

GoogleUpdateInstaller popped up several times a day after I installed Picasa Web Albums. Even when I'm not on Picasa, it has been popping up every day or two. I don't mind installing updates, but the frequency is really starting to annoy me. And I'm not adverse to Google, so is there a way of controlling how often this is done? Monthly would be good.

8. drjaymez macrumors member

just removed it with the sudo command above. Let's hope it works!

9. Vertex macrumors newbie

Vertex

Thank You

does not help!:cool:

10. Greenman85 macrumors regular

dl appzap, install the two programs again. then delete them. appzap will ask to remove all files pertaining to the google program and say yes. should solve your problem

11. dhanesh macrumors newbie

12. Gene11 macrumors newbie

Terminal "solution" failed. I got the message "command not found" after entering the command. What now!!!

13. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

don't feel too bad, it's impossible to get rid of on windows too. It's quite invidious! Bad google!!

14. nofunsir macrumors member

nofunsir

Google Music Manager is doing this now as well.

This was really creeping me out. It only happens late at night. I'm on my computer, about to turn in, and suddenly: Music Manager install dmg mounts, finder window opens, files move, dismount! No sign of an original .dmg file anywhere! Didn't even have Music Manager running.

What the heck, Google! Quit being so creepy!

15. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

That updater is the most evil piece of malware on your Mac. Use Chromium it works with sparkle.

16. picua macrumors newbie

H E L P to uninstall GoogleUpdateInstaller

Please where in my mac am I supposed to paste the following link in order to remover the GoogleUpdateInstaller:
    sudo /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/Resources/install.py --uninstall

It comes up every time and it doesn't update anything.
    I've also removed the picasa application

Many thanks!