GoPhone data add-on work on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anjinha, Dec 19, 2009.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm going to the U.S. in a couple of weeks and wanted to get a pre-paid sim card to use on my iPhone (it's unlocked) for the time that I'm there. The only problem is data. T-Mobile apparently doesn't offer data on pre-paid other than the Sidekick plan (that doesn't work on the iPhone anymore) so my only option is AT&T.

I looked around and on AT&T's website there's a data add on for the GoPhone, $19.99 for 100MB. I've heard conflicting reports about this working on the iPhone. Does anyone know for sure? Is anybody using it?

[​IMG]

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes it works. You just have to load a carrier file to the iPhone that contains the correct APN for AT&T. Firmware 3.0+ disables data on non official iPhone accounts so the carrier file is needed to enable it once again.

3. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Thanks. :) Can I just get a SIM card in an AT&T store? How much do they cost?

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I've been able to get them free in the AT&T store by telling them that I needed a sim so I could activate an original iPhone.

I have an old GoPhone that I use to activate a GoPhone account and then place my sim in my iPhone. It works great, 3G and all.

5. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Ok cool. I'm going to the U.S. in about a week and I was worried that there didn't seem to be any way to use data on my iPhone without getting in a contract.

6. quicknight macrumors newbie

Thanks!

SpaceKitty,

I appreciate the info. Might you also reveal how to locate the AT&T carrier file for the APN or should I just google.

Happy Holidays,

Quicknight

7. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

I found out how to do it. :)

8. ukcolinr macrumors regular

Hey,

Just thought I'd add that I didn't need to even mention an iPhone when I went in to get an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I just went into a corporate store, told them I wanted a GoPhone SIM, told them how much I wanted to put on, and walked out the store with my SIM, no questions asked at all!

I wish T-Mobile did PAYG Data Bundle as AT&T Rates are so much higher than T-Mobile.

Colin

9. quicknight macrumors newbie

I will take that as a "no." (;

Anyone else?

10. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

www.unlockit.co.nz/

Adds a profile to your phone. Can also add a fake APN to disable data.