GoPhone iPhone (prepaid plans) EDGE network outage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwtseng, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jwtseng macrumors member

It seems that another widespread EDGE outage has hit iPhone users on the GoPhone prepaid plans. I have read from the ATT forums that there is either an EDGE login issue or some accounting issue where GoPhone users had their MediaMax account balances zeroed out inadvertently. I read that this affects all GoPhone accounts.....not just iPhones.

My iPhone keeps giving me the message "Could not activate EDGE. You are not subscribed to EDGE."

Post here if this problem is affecting you, too. The last "GoPhone iPhone" EDGE outage lasted a number of days (5 days for me!). That one seemed to be a different problem, affecting iPhones only. I hope they solve this one sooner!:(

2. lawong macrumors newbie

My problem started yesterday at 9 AM PST. I didn't experience the last one. I called AT&T again today and they gave me a $5 credit since its been more than 24 hours. Hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong and fix it soon.

3. 619 macrumors member

4. STFrankenburg69 macrumors newbie

iPhone EDGE outage (prepaid plans)

SF Bay Area and still no edge for 3 days for this pre-pay iphone user, not good.
    I want to scream, I wonder if this has anything to do with Macworld
    I called ATT and they told me they were updating their service. That was yesterday 01-16-08 about noon. I was also told they were uncertain when it would be restored. But I'm calling back today and will post to macrumors.

Good Luck

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes of course. I have two iPhones. One is a normal month to month with two year contract. The other is a prepaid iPhone. When I activated it, I made up a SS# that I knew would fail the credit check. Itunes then offered me the prepaid options. I selected one and in another 90 minutes, I was sent an email telling me to make a payment to my prepaid account. I did that and then my iPhone was activated. I now have 200 minutes with 200 texts for $37 a month and no two year contract. I didn't get the internet package because I can use my other iPhone for that and plus I can use WiFi.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I called them yesterday and they turned my Edge service back on, I just get charged every time I use it until they get all of the accounts repaired that were affected by this issue. If you have a text messaging plan that was probably affected too. So call them up and have them get your EDGE up again if it's still down. They will reimburse you for any charges you incur while using EDGE or text messaging (if you have a text messaging plan).

7. largerego macrumors newbie

Me Too

I have noticed the problem ever since I upgraded to the 1.1.3 version of the firmware, I called and they said they are working on it, and that I should call back in 24hours if I'm still noticing the problems...

the thing that bothers me is that being pre pay, I already paid for the services that they are currently denying me.

:mad:

8. loismustdie08 macrumors newbie

I am also having problems with EDGE on my GoPhone iPhone. EDGE has been down for me for about 3 days now. :mad:

9. lawong macrumors newbie

My EDGE service is now working, however I did need to call AT&T support.

After getting transferred from Customer Support to Tech Support to Apple Support to Customer Support back to Tech Support, the last tech I spoke with was able to figure out what was wrong. Apparently, I had lost my provision for Internet access even though I had the iPhone bundle on my phone.

After resetting my phone, EDGE started working again and I am a happy camper.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Just be aware that they are charging you per use fees for using EDGE until they get everyone's accounts running properly again.

I'm not sure if you're are implying that this had something to do with 1.1.3 (if not I apologize), but the two things having nothing at all to do with each other. It's just a coincidence that this happened on the same day that the update came out. In fact, I had already noticed the problem that morning before the update was released.

11. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

+1 for EDGE and messaging plan problems, two calls to ATT and two different time frames on when it'll be repaired...pretty frustrating.

12. taybuch macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. Edge is working again, but AT&T is having to reimburse my account each day for the edge use. The most annoying part is that the "last transaction cost" messages are popping up every time I surf.

13. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

ive been dealing with this since tuseday also. one call on tuesday got it going, one call on wed got it going again, 2 calls on thursday and so far 2 calls on friday to get it going, mostly the last 2 days its been getting the balance from zero back to what it should be at.

extremely frustrating!!! since i just got the thing less then 2 weeks ago. i put it on prepay just so i didnt have to sign a 2 yr contract. im beginning to rethink this

14. lawong macrumors newbie

Actually, that's not the case. My phone service has returned to normal. No unneccessary billing and all services have restored.

15. lawong macrumors newbie

I hear what you are saying, but IMO this is just a bad bug on their end. I didn't get hit with any of the other GoPhone service outages. And if anything, you can always jump to a 2-year contract and then you shouldn't have this problem anymore.

16. igophone.org macrumors newbie

EDGE outage unacceptable

My EDGE service is still out. Going one six days now.

This makes at least twice in the past three months that AT&T’s EDGE service went down, preventing us from accessing the Web and any iPhone application dependent on Web data. That means no email, no web browsing, no map searches, among other things.

In both situations. the EDGE outage apparently only affected users on the GoPhone pre-paid plan. And I suspect there may be similar incidents in the future.

iPhone users with the GoPhone pre-paid plan need to band together. By connecting one another, we can more quickly figure out what’s happening when an outage hits. (Right now, each of us google the blogs or post help requests to discussion boards … then call customer service only to find that 2 out of 3 customer service reps at AT&T don’t know what they’re doing).

There must be hundreds, if not thousands, of us. Working together, I’m hoping that we can collectively push AT&T to resolve our problems faster and more thoroughly.

Email me if you're interested: keith (at) igophone.org

17. STFrankenburg69 macrumors newbie

AT&T Finally fixed my edge issue, Heres what happened.
    Yesterday morning I called again for the 6th time ( every day my edge was down) and spoke with a Supervisor he in turn worked with tech support and apparently found resolve to the issue , I was told that during "their update" that took place on tuesday 15th about 11-12 noon , created an issue with prepaid iphone, where he said a "provision" was dropped from these accounts
    causing the loss of EDGE for the Pre-paid customers ( iphone) He and with the help of tech support replaced the "provision' back to my account and everything is back to normal!! he had to manually do this to each of my iPhones and they were both fixed in about an hour on the phone, I hope there are some of you that can benefit from my experience. Dial 611 and then 0 immediately.:D

18. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

my edge works, but i just keep getting charged for my usage instead of it being covered under the unlimited for 19.99 i finally got someone today (day 8, call/store visit number 11) to credit me some money for the time ive been out. i was on the phone with cust care, then someone else, then to someone in gophone tech support. he got it setup so that until someone can get into the acct further to fix it correctly, it will keep my balance at a positive dollar so i can at least keep using the thing. it keeps making my net access and text plan inactive.

19. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

anyone still having issues???? im on day 14 in a row with an issue, ive only had this thing since the beginning of the month. im being charged for my edge service and when i run out of $$$ it shuts off. i finally got someone last week to monitor my acct and refill it every time it gets low. this is really annoying.

20. jwtseng thread starter macrumors member

I'm the guy who started this thread. My EDGE finally got restored to normal functioning (unlimited without per kb charges) around Wednesday or Thursday of last week. So it took a week or so. They told me that I would have to wait until my next billing cycle, which is Feb 4, so I was glad to have normal service restored "early". haha.

Anyways, I had to call them 2 times a day to get my balance of $125 reinstated. I was getting charged upwards of $23 per webpage!!! Anyways, it's all fixed now. I would suggest calling them and getting them to open up a case and give you the case number. They may have to transfer you to tech support for this. Once I opened up a case, they gave me a date when the issue was to be resolved...this date just happened to be 1/24 when my service was actually restored to normal. Probably just a coincidence.

Good luck.

21. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

ive got a case opened with them, i got it opened up on thursday last week. he said it would get looked at sometime this week.

22. calloused macrumors newbie

andall Stephenson, AT&T CEO
    rs2982@att.com (direct)
    randall.stephenson@att.com
    phone: 210-351-5401 (direct to his secretary)
    fax 210-351-3553
    alternate phone: 210-821-4105 (headquarters, press 3, ask for Mr. Stephenson's office)
    175 E. Houston
    San Antonio, TX 78205

OR

MaryMichelle Timbang
    AT&T Wireless, HQ - Office of the President
    Executive Customer Service
    MT6973@att.com

(from consumerist.com)