GoPhone peeps: If you restore in iTunes will it reactivate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VoodooDaddy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

A long time ago I had to restore an iphone in iTunes and when it went through the activation process it said "unable to activate this account." I called ATT and was told "this phone cannot be activated since its a gophone plan, you will have to create a new account/number."

Is this still true? This is one of the reasons I have hesitated trying to unlock/jailbrake my phone. Because if and when I have to restore it I may be stuck unable to activate since its a gophone plan.

2. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'm on a gophone plan, and have restored mine a couple times with no problems.

Had the exact same problem when I bought it, too. Couldn't port my old gophone number over.

3. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the answer. Makes me feel better about trying an unlock.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

One of my iPhones is on an Pick a Plan, signed up through iTunes. After a restore, it activates the phone just fine, however, if I put the sim in one of my other iPhones and try to restore it in one of those, it will not activate. It seems with the 1.1.3 amd 1.1.4, these check to make sure the sim is not being used in any other iPhone than the one it was activated on. Not sure how this would work on a iPhone that has to be replaced under warranty. The sim will work in one of my other phones if the phone is unlocked and activated.