GoPhone Plan + 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oubipaws, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Oubipaws macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I bought the original iPhone last year and got it on a GoPhone plan simply because I didn't want another phone contract - any ideas if I can simply transfer the SIM card or if I'll have to get a contract?

Thanks!

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The 3G iPhone is on a differently priced data plan than EDGE, so just swapping the SIM cards won't work. Not to mention that where you buy it (AT&T or Apple Store) activation is done there, not at home. I kept my SIM card thinking that I could just swap them, but alas...

I'm sure we'll find out more on the 11th.

3. Freedomflyer macrumors newbie

I've always been so confused with the whole GoPhone deal. I have GoPhone and LOVE not having a contract but I don't understand how I am supposed to sell my iPhone for the iPhone 3G and somehow stops service of whatever. The logistics are weird. Could anyone help us as to how is GoPhone people need to sell their phones because I have NO IDEA

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I just sold my iPhone (GoPhone) on eBay and kept the SIM card.

5. brandonzar macrumors regular

I already have an AT&T rate plan that is set to expire in about a month and I hardly ever talk on my cellphone so I am thinking of doing the iPhone 3G on a goPhone plan. I figure that it won't be to hard to get the iPhone as I can just sign up for the service and then cancel it the next day and pay AT&T their $175 and still get the new iPhone $25 cheaper than the old one.

I just hope the software unlocks work well for the new phone. I doubt Apple would spend much time developing a new locking method since they aren't getting a cut of the pie anymore.

I looked at AT&T's website to check out their goPhone plans and it looks like you can add 5MB of data to any goPhone plan for $10 a month. Has anyone done this with the old iphone who could share their experience? Also do you think that the 5MB of data will work on the 3G or EDGE only?