GoPhone SIM 2g iPhone 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GuidoXL, Nov 25, 2009.

1. GuidoXL macrumors newbie

So I bought the sim, with like $30 credit and Ive seen youtube videos showing people putting these SIMs into the iphone and everything is great, works fine. but for some reason when I put mine it, it says "no service" but under setting>phone it shows my number from the SIM. So how do I get it to work so I cant just receive and make calls on my prepaid pay as you go plan. Is there a way i can get around the thing ATT put out to block any non data plans on the iphone? Im not exactly an expert on all of this, i saw a file (.ipcc) that apparently did something but i wasnt sure howto install it. I have a 2g iPhone that was jailbroken through Blackrain, so if anybody can help me please do, itd be much appreciated.

I tried searching all over the internet with no luck, so hopefully i can get here. Thanks!

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

How old is this GoPhone sim? AT&T has started locking GoPhone sims to the phone it was activated in for 6 months. To get around this, you have to get one of the older sim cards from ebay and then activate your GoPhone with it. Then you can put the sim in your iPhone. You can also search the hacks forum for hacked carrier files that will allow you to use data on the GoPhone sim.

It's entirely possible that the sim you bought may never work in an iPhone.

Data isn't cheap, 100MB for $19.99 is the biggest plan offered.

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I thought you said unlimited is $19.99

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

AT&T doesn't officially offer unlimited GoPhone data plans. On their website, they only offer the 100mb and I think 5mb. I was sent a sms back in September offering me unlimited for $19.99 and I called and got it added on. Nobody else who called asking for it who didn't get the SMS has been able to get it. They get told that it's not available.

Attached Files:

5. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont need data, so your saying i can get a carrier file that would allow it to get service and work without a data plan? or do i need a different sim like you said, cause i dont know the difference between old and new sims..

and im not sure of how old my sim is, I bought if off ebay last week. its got the att log on the front and the top half is white, bottom half blue. the card it came is just white with the orange go phone bubble on the left side

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

A carrier file isn't needed to be able to use the sim just for calls. Since you are getting no service, I am thinking that the sim is locked to phones other than an iPhone. Is the phone unlocked? The 2G iPhone needs to be unlocked to use a GoPhone sim. Try unlocking first. I used Redsnow to unlock a 2G 3.0 iPhone.

7. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, when i got the sim the guy already preactivated it for me, that might be my problem..but as of now i just ran blackrain on my iphone on firmware 3.0 so i think that did the whole deal, activate jealbreak, and unlock since i didnt have a sim in and it wouldnt let me use the iphone untill i did the sim unlock with blackrain

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

9. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i just so far have only jailbroken my ipod and im assuming it unlocked it aswell, and its basically just an ipod right now. I have the sim which was activated for me before i recieved it, but now when i put it in it just says "no service". it displays the phone # but nothing under network or carrier..so maybe its the sim thing being locked to another phone as you mentioned

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Search Google for Redsnow 3.0 and run it to unlock your iPhone. Then try the sim.

11. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

okay ill get back to you once im done with that, thanks

12. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay i plugged my iphone in, then ran red snow, did what it told me, put the thing into DFU, then it said downloading jailbreak software, restarted, and now everything's the same, under network and carrier it still says unavailable, but next to the wifi symbol instead of saying "no service" it just has one bar..i tried making a call and it says call failed. what should i do? should i restore the phone then run redsn0w 3.0, or would it really not matter either way cuz i still put it into DFU mode when redsnow ran just now.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

And you really are running version 3.0 and not 3.1.2 on your iPhone?

Other than what I suggested, I have no idea what else for you to try.

14. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeh, im on 3.1.2 i just realized...i guess thats not good, should i downgrade?

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Your title said you were on 3.0 so all thati told you to do was only for 3.0.

16. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay im working on downgrading to 3.0.1 and maybe what you said will work then

17. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

okay its currently running 3.0.1 an has been jailbroken and unlocked by redsn0w. still says "no service" in the corner, this time though it wont recognize my number and the carrier just says searching the whole time. although under the general settings tab for carrier it says ATT 4.0

so if you dunno what else can be done, anyone else think they could help me out? do i need to downgrade the baseband aswell? or does that not matter, cause i heard that downgrading the OS to 3.0 wont effect the baseband update..also maybe there's a difference between 3.0.1 and 3.0.0? any help is greatly appreciated!

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Since it's a new sim then, most likely it can't be used with any other phone than the phone it was activated with for a period of six months.

19. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay then ill get the guy to send a blank sim, then ill activate it to this phone and your saying it might work then, correct?

20. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can't activate that sim in the iPhone on a GoPhone account. You would have to use a GoPhone to activate it but then it wil be tied to that iPhone for six months before you could use it in the iPhone.

21. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

then what are the old SIM's like? cause maybe ill just buy one of those off ebay..or can you find one and show me it?

22. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

Im looking to use this iPhone as just a secondary phone, with a simple pay as you go plan. So can you just give me my options, all i wanna do is make calls. Does T-Mobile have somthin that would work or any other GSM network?

23. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can use your iPhone on T-Mobile but you will have to do some searching on how to get it working, I have no idea.

24. GuidoXL thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay then maybe ill get a tmobile used SIM in the mean time and see if I can get it to work..