Gophone sim on iPhone 3gs 3.1.3 please help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ahbba, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Ahbba macrumors member

Hello. I have a new iPhone 3gs that I have on 3.1.3. Will I be able to use the gophone sim on my iPhone without AT&T finding out?will it also work on ios4 and does the baseband of the iPhone matter?I read that the new gophones now have a 6month lock on the gophone so can someone please explain how I can use the gophone sim on my iPhone. Thanks

2. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

3. Majakat macrumors member

you wont have any data but the phone function should work

4. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

Are you using the gophone sim on ur iPhone? I read online that AT&T can find you using a gophone sim and charge for data.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes it will work and just like the person said above, data won't work so you won't be able to use apps without WiFi. Apple has disabled data on non official AT&T iPhone sims.

6. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

@spacekitty

has AT&T ever found out that u have been using a gophone sim on an iPhone?how long have u been using a gophone sim?will I be able to use a gophone sim on ios4 and can u explain how to activate the gophone sim. Thanks

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You'll be fine using the GoPhone sim in the iPhone. I was using a GoPhone sim in my 3G iPhone for about 8 months with no problems.

I had an old GoPhone that I got at Radio Shack for $29. I just activated the phone and then put the sim in my iPhone.

You can activate a sim card with just any phones IMEI # except an iPhones IMEI #. You can go to Wal-Mart and pick up a GoPhone package and write down the IMEI # on it. Then go to the AT&T site and click on the GoPhone link and from there is a link to activate a GoPhone. It will ask you for the phones IMEI # and the number on the sim. IT will activate and then you can add money to your account and then pick what plan you want. Then just put the sim in the iPhone and it will work.

I don't know about iOS 4 because I didn't have my GoPhone plan when iOS 4 was released. I sold that sim when AT&T finally approved me for a second iPhone a few months ago.

8. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

When u use the gophones imei number doesnt the sim automatically lock onto the gophone for 6 months?do u know how much minutes r for gophone pay as you go and plans?

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

This will only happen if you use the sim card that comes with a GoPhone that offers free airtime credits such as $50. IF you use that sim, the sim will not be able to be used in another phone for about 6 months.

You can get around that by using another sim to activate the phone.

10. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

Does the iPhone need to be unlocked? Do I need to do the apn changer?

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

No, the iPhone doesn't need to be unlocked especially on a 3G or 3GS. The only time you need to change the APN is if you want to enable data on the phone.

Data plans for GoPhone is expensive. I think it's like 1MB for $4.99 and 100MB for $19.99. They no longer have unlimited data on GoPhones.

12. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

For the apn changer do I use us-AT&T or Cingular?

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

APN: wap.cingular
    User: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    PW: CINGULAR1

Ignore the link for the user, this forum makes it into a link for some reason.

14. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

Do I use Cingular even though I'm on AT&T? Do u create a new custom profile or use the pw and user u gave?

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, you use cingular. AT&T and Cingular are the same company.

The APN changer will already have a configuration for you to choose so just select that one and it will add it to the iPhone for you.

Go to this address on your iPhone: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

Pick the one for AT&T. Restart the phone after doing this by turning it off and then on.

16. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

Oh nevermind I got the apn down. Do walmart sell gophones without airtime credits? If I buy a gophone without airtime credits will it work for my iPhone?

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I think they all come with some kind of credit so you would need to get another sim from AT&T.

18. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

So all gophones come with credit? How will i be able to get a new sim from AT&T? Will I have to activate the new sim at AT&T or can I do it online?

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

GO to AT&T and they can set up a GoPhone account without you having a phone there. They will give you a phone number that is yours and then hand you this sim. It will then work in the iPhone.

Then you just have to register your account online.

IT's not that hard to set up.

20. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

21. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

So if I get. Gophone sim from AT&T, then I won't even have to buy a gophone from walmart right? When u set up an account at AT&T do u need the imei number?

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm not sure but I think it will ask for the number.

23. Ahbba thread starter macrumors member

Will Iphones only be able to use gophone sims? I have an AT&T family plan and my mom has an AT&T phone(not iPhone just a lg). Will I be able to use a sim card I buy online and her imei number? Will any AT&T sim work for my iPhone? Will I be able to use the iPhone with a regular AT&T sim and add a line to my family plan?

24. bryan.ninh macrumors newbie

iphone 4

will i be able to cut down my gophone sim card to a microsim and use it in an iphone 4?