GoPro / Extreme Sports videopgraphy

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bluap84, Mar 7, 2011.

1. bluap84 macrumors 6502

I know this is a long shot. But anyone know any good sites / forums on this subject?

I got this shiny new i7 mac. and only using it for web surfing currently I need to up my game

2. gameface macrumors 6502

tetongravity.com
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/

Forums are down for maintenance at the moment but it is a ski/snowboard/surf film company with an awesome forum of action sports and tons of members who post videos, make their own stuff and have a great deal of knowledge in all aspects.

Check it out, it is my primary stomping grounds. Used to be an editor for them when living out in Jackson Hole.

3. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ah thanks man...someone posted that company a while back couldnt remember for the life of me..

so sir i thank you

4. gameface macrumors 6502

5. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

haha marketing at its best.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

i use a similar headcam for a bunch of outdoor stuff.

lovin' it.

i'm sure this guy watches this video and appreciates life (especially at 1:10 when he just gets his skis righted and by God' grace, hits the snow instead of smashing into the rocks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anJZ3s9PFmQ

wow!

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

A good place to start is the GoPro youtube channel. They have over 100 videos showing off a variety of sports and activities but also different editing techniques that can inspire creativity.

8. gameface macrumors 6502

True, but watching any video will do that. I forum type atmosphere helps considerably, where you can search for answers that people have already asked and have been answered in-depth from professionals and serious hobbyists, IMHO.

For example, you're not going to learn from watching a video that the first thing you do with your video out of the GoPro is run it through compressor or meg streamclip because the MP4's it spits out isn't edit friendly. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people think their computer is too slow to edit HD because it hangs on MP4 videos while trying to edit.

I think before anyone starts to even think about the creativity aspect they need to learn the technical side of editing. Everyone jumps in and sees what pros have done in the past and have no idea why or what they are doing. They make a stupid little edit with titles they think are cool. I see the amateur videos filled with lame effects and transitions but haven't been properly color balanced. Horrible audio cuts that are painful and as any pro knows, the audio edit is as important, I argue more important than the visual edit.

Editors make a lot of money and that is because it is a talent that takes time to learn. Anyone who thinks it's slapping two clips next to each other with a music bed is insane. Learn tech first and foremost. The fact Apple makes it 'so easy' right out the box to do simple edits is turning the internet into a place filled with crappy video that makes my brain hurt from people who call themselves editors that couldn't land an internship let alone a real job.

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I never disputed this fact. However, the OP is looking for a specific forum when perhaps he does not realise that a lot of the information could be asked in this forum as there are a lot of knowledgable members that would be able to help.

From the sound of the OP's post he is starting with editing and suggests he needs to "up his game". I think suggesting the GoPro official youtube channel is good as from the videos you would learn how to tell a story with images and how to link to the beat. It's probably just as important to learn the theory behind why we edit and how to tell a story as how important it is to convert the footage into ProRes 422 or whatever format you are happy to work with.

Others have mentioned forums so I wanted to add a new dimension of thought.

I'm not trying to have a dig at you but it almost sounds as though from your post that you seem to be having a dig at us.

Not everyone wants to be an editor. Some people don't want to spend hours fiddling with cuts to get them just right. The out of the box experience that Apple offers is something that people buy because it takes their videos to a new level which wasn't previously achievable.

I realise this. I am trying to get into the film industry as a student and realise how competitive and high quality the industry is. Your point is slightly floored though. Pretty much everything takes time to learn. I like playing tennis. I have no chance of qualifying for Wimbledon but I still like playing. What your sort of saying is that because I couldn't make the Wimbledon final I should therefore stop playing tennis.

No one is forcing you to watch all these internet videos so maybe you shouldn't criticise so harshly when criticism isn't looked for.

10. gameface macrumors 6502

While I understand your point I can't agree. Maybe it is just my mentality but when I do something, even as a hobby I try to immerse myself in it and do it to the best of my ability. I was merely suggesting that the more one learns, the more enjoyable it will become. But I don't really get my words across well and sometimes (mostly) come of as abrasive even though I don't mean to be.

Good luck! It's a great industry that is always evolving and you will surely have times you hate it, but the creative side is what keeps us going even when the work sucks. :D

I never said he should quit or anyone else for that matter. I just see that many people don't put in an effort to make their stuff they are presenting great, and it's not because they don't want it to be great, they just don't realize tips and tools that can take a subpar edit and make it shine. Some people spend hours and hours on a cut and then don't spend another few on CCing it or proper audio tweaks. No biggie, but like I said, I try to present my best in everything I do.

cheers

11. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Glad I didn't offend you. I know completely what you mean though, with just a little more effort and edit can go from the iMovie templates with a bunged in audio track to something that has that extra "wow" factor for friends and family.

However, the people that you talk about just chucking in an audio track and jump cuts galore are probably my friends. I have confronted them about this and told them about the wonders of NLE etc. but they just simply can't be bothered. What they have done suits there needs.

I'm on the same page as you as whatever I produce I like to do to the best of my ability at that time. But to some people talk of ProRes, rendering, Decibels, filters, rippling can be enough to make them believe it is a foreign language and since iMovie "just works" they don't want to try something else in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality!

12. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

I use Adobe, so what format do you suggest would be the best to spit out the gopro footage too? I am quite new to editing, but i do really enjoy it. Wish i knew more about it... ill send you my first EVER EDIT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSpF8DT8XRA

that was my first ever attempt at premiere. so be nice...but i admire infact LOVE anything Brain Farm do. Now they are the daddies. But i am a sponge at your disposal. So let me soak up anything you wish to leak you. Think of yourself like mr miyagi

13. gameface, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

gameface macrumors 6502

Haha, I used to work with Curt Morgan at TGR before he started Brain Farm. My friend Eric left TGR to become their system admin for all their edit suites and created their SAS SAN. Brain Farm truly has the lock as the equipment they shoot with is the best in the industry. No small company can shoot with a Cineflex, Varicam 3700, RED and Phantom like they do. News... they shot this years whole film on 35mm for the most part because of costs coming down. This new film is going to be sick!

I'll give the video a watch when I get to work.

14. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i can only imagine the costs which brain farm rack up! BUT...theyre video are so so sick! Cant wait for "the art of flight" seen the trailer and almost creamed my pants, i was snowboarding at the time (well sat in the bar) What setups do brain farm have? I dont see a lot of Premiere :( which is dissapointing as i have CS5 - but wouldnt mind FCP

I <3 Brain Farm. lol

15. gameface macrumors 6502

I think they are up to 5 edit suites now. All 8-core systems. They use Final Cut Pro for editing, After Effects for any graphics they do in house and Davinci Resolve for color correcting.

16. bluap84, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

dam them using FCP - no1 seems to use Premiere :s - i got affect effects though...no idea how to use it mind haha

17. gameface macrumors 6502

About your video.

1st and foremost is the angling of your cam. I would definitely get just the bars or even the tires in the image and more of the trail. I want to see more of what is coming up before you are on top of it. Also play around with different mounts. low down on the forks or on your top tube or something.

As far as the editing, those are long run lines so there really wasn't much to it. Short and sweet which so many people screw up in their edits. They try to cram everything they can in and make 10 minute edits that make everyone's eyes glaze over. But you didn't and I appreciate that.

There are a time and place for cross-fade transitions and I don't think you needed them in that edit at all.

And about Premiere... don't worry about it. It is a VERY capable NLE (non-linear editor). In many ways it smokes FCP because it has been updated recently where as FCP has been sitting at its present state for 2 years while technology has progressed. Don't get into the trap of using something for the wrong reasons. The only reason I would tell you to buy it was if you planned on making it your career and wanted to learn it, because as you know, there are few production houses using Premiere (but the number is growing).

Example... this is a video shot and edited by an acquaintance of mine. He uses Premiere and does awesome work. It's a bike video so hopefully you enjoy it.
    http://vimeo.com/15102366

18. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry dude, dont get what you mean...make it short n sweet? or keep the long runs?

as for the camera angle it was a friends home made mount so couldnt really advise of it not pointing in the right direction, but i know what you mean...id rather see whats coming ahead.

i have both premiere and fcp now as i got it from a friend so im going to start learning fcp.

as for the video ill have to wait till i get home...dam work has blocked vimeo but not youtube...go figure

19. gameface macrumors 6502

What I meant was the whole video was only 2 minutes long. Short and sweet. I like that. Less is more in my opinion unless it is absolutely 100% banger *****. When cutting ski/snowboard films at TGR (no longer work there btw) you should see the footage that hit the floor and doesn't make it into the movie. Sometimes you have to let some shots go to keep the pacing going. If I clicked your link and it was a 10 minute edit, I probably either wouldn't have watched it or watched the first couple of minutes and got bored and turned it off. People don't have long attention spans so grab 'em with the goods and get out. I am constantly thinning and thinning and thinning my edits down to get them as tight as possible.

My $.02

20. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh yeah man i get ya now. I have to agree, when i see a bike video and it just goes on n on your right it is a bore. Some of the best videos i have seen are "short n sweet"

the best "short n sweet" video has to be the art of flight trailer. That is just an epic bit of work. I also love the audio, each cut matches a beat or change in music simply awesome

21. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

haha yeah i have seen all the work on their site. its amazing!!!
    i love their visa black one...that bird is smoking

22. jwheeler macrumors regular

Just watched that! Wow! I actually said "dude" out loud on my own.... :D

23. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

haha amazing video isnt it!

gameface - your mates work was so awesome! Those POV shots were they go pro? What was he using you think a DSLR? bravo though great work....

24. gameface macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Gopro and Canon 7D exclusively.