GoPro HERO4 Black

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 3282869, Apr 9, 2015.

1. 3282869 macrumors member

I bought a GoPro HERO4 Black Edition and am debating keeping it. I mostly wanted it for action shots while traveling, the 4K 30fps was the selling point as I use FCPX on a current gen 8-Core Mac Pro. On the fence as it's a "want", not a "need". The cons are overheating, not great for stills (DSLR still the best, was hoping to consolidate to one device), additional costs for peripherals.

The one aspect keeping me on the fence is drone use. It'd be less expensive with better video quality getting a GoPro drone.

Thoughts? I'm planning on returning it tonight before the stores are flooded with Apple Watch customers. Thanks!

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

It really depends on how much use you're going to get out of it. Honestly, it sounds more like an impulse buy on your part and since you're having some buyer's remorse, then why not just return it. Unless you're actually going to get some good use out of it. I certainly wouldn't use it for stills. And do you really need 4K video at this point?

3. 3282869 thread starter macrumors member

You're right. I was shooting (no pun intended) for 4K as I planned to keep it for 2-3 years. 4K at 30fps isn't UHD but it's good to have.

The one thing I would love to do is attach it to a GoPro DJI Phantom 2 drone, yet that's ~$900. Then you're getting into $1-2k territory, for an impulse purchase (though I really want aerial footage lol). :eek:

Thanks mate!

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Look into a 4 silver or a used hero 3+ black. 4k is for now is a toy. maybe you'll record a scene or two but it will eat up battery and storage. All the mounts that you buy you can use if you decide to upgrade.

I bought the hero 4 black and i wish i bought the silver. The built in screen is far more important then the frame rates for everyday use