GoPro2 vs other small cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Apr 3, 2012.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I am going to be filming a series of car chase scenes for a short I am making.
    I have suction cup mounts to attach to a couple of cars.
    I WAS thinking gopro2 but at $350, it doesn't quite grab me.

Any suggestions for a cheaper camera? I would like to be able to install 3 cameras on two cars.

I was thinking something like a Flip or something that if it falls of and gets ran over... meh.

I am looking for at least 720p to work with my t2i footage.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I know some folks who rave about the Canon SX230. It's around 200 some bucks.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

I would suggest the Drift but after working with both footages for the last few months, Im sticking with the GoPro HD format.
    I havent tested the new GoPro HD2 footage, waiting a bit to buy one.
    Lost my last GoPro HD snowboarding :p

4. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

If you are looking for the best quality video for your buck in this action camera category, the GoPro2 wins hands-down.

Against the more expensive Contour Plus

I snowboard and own the GoPro 2. I bought it after much research and it won me over due to the obvious superior video quality. The two negatives are:

1) The on-off scheme is annoying, but this doesn't matter if you're mounting on a place where you will be looking directly at the camera when you turn it on. As a snowboarder, I mount it on my helmet so I have to ask my buddies if it's on sometimes. You can't always hear those beeps.

2) It makes me look like a teletubby when on my helmet

Two negatives I can live with considering just how much better the video is compared to my buddies that own Contours and Drifts.

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I recently got a Hero 2. For the price they're great, granted I get them half off through work, but even for $300. There are endless ways to mount them. I use the handlebar mount on pvc a lot. The suction cup mount is great and sticks to just about anything. Even if you're not using it for action sports it's great. The only downside is the audio quality isn't the greatest, but with the skeleton case (or no case at all) you can use an external mic. I also got the LCD for it, which I find pretty handy when framing shots and cycling through menus.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

Oh there are times when Id rather not hear me screaming down a ravine on my snowboard or when you hear my comments about supposed snow bunnies :p
    The glue mount failed me on last snow trip.
    Came off from a bad spill.
    Then had to use the strap which then help me lose the GoProHD down moguls :(
    Waiting till last min to get a HD2 :)