GoProHD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mBox, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mBox macrumors 68020

Anyone here buy the HeroHD?
    Your thoughts?
    Got one last night but couldnt get it to work right.
    Even after a full charge, I have to take the battery out and put back in to get the thing working somewhat.
    Im sure this tech is awesome but I think I got a dud :(
    I guess my question is, is this common?
    I bought the last one at local store :p
    Have to return it.
    I really wanted to bring this to my first big snowboard trip :(

2. LtCarter47 macrumors regular

LtCarter47

My brother just bought one a week or two ago and uses it on his dirt bike helmet and his hard hat (he's a lineman). I helped him last night with some video he captured while hanging from a helicopter inspecting power lines in the mountains, really cool stuff, and it was amazingly clear and smooth. He seems to like the way it works. I'm thinking about getting one myself. Too bad yours was defective, I'd give it another shot though.

3. johneaston macrumors regular

My GoPro HD arrived this morning and seems to be working fine - battery has lasted a full 2GB card's worth at least.

Only thing to mention to anyone thinking of buying - DO NOT buy from www.dogcamsport.co.uk

I ordered my GoPro HD from dogcam online and paid £7.90 for next day delivery. It arrived minus the free 8GB SD card so I called to ask where it was. When I revisited the dogcamsport website (to find their contact details) I noticed they offer FREE next day delivery. When I questioned dogcam on this they refused to refund my £7.90! So no SD card to try in my new GoPro HD and no free delivery. NOT good customer service.

What they don't know is, if the tests go well this weekend, I plan to order two more next week - rest assured I won't be ordering it from dogcamsport.

4. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Auto-Shut-Up!!

A friend informed me that I might have turned on the Auto-Shut option.
    I think I did and set it for 60seconds.
    However this doesnt explain why I cant turn the thing back on again.
    I have to take the battery out then place back in to get it going.
    Now when you do this, the camera starts to record because I turned on Auto-Record option.
    Damn these Auto options :p
    LOL!

5. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

32GB SDHC Class10

Anyone experience class10 SDHC media?
    Is it really worth it?
    crazy price diff between original :p

6. bluap84 macrumors 6502

i have a few mates with them, they either ride / snowboard or both. I havent heard any battery issues. I am looking at getting one for my snowboard trip this month....Maybe you just got a bad one? As i have heard theyre pretty solid and last long enough?

7. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

So far so good...

I'm diggin mine now :) returned the faulty one and picked up a chesty and 16GB class10. Damn they ain't cheap them 32GB :p
    My first test was at last nights gig. Nope this unit is strictly for outdoors. However very impressed with sound rec. Even with waterproof case, I got very decent clarity. I play in a classic rock band so were loud ;)
    Get to test it this week on B.C. Slopes ;)
    Awesome tech!
    I use a RED MX at work, what a contrast in size and weight ;)

8. bluap84 macrumors 6502

awesome dude...

take a look at this one - http://vimeo.com/19601720 its not me...but its my friends riding. which i edited together. my first attempt with premiere too :D

9. sportster macrumors 6502

My dad just got one last week. Only been able to play with it a little yesterday when I saw him. From what I've seen it's a cool camera.

I have one question, off topic... Would handbrake work to convert the .m4v files to one that is supported by the iPhones?

10. elisedriver macrumors newbie

;)

yes - it does it fine ( well, at least it does on my mac)

I've had a GoPro Hd for a year now - plenty of footage on my Youtube and more lately, on my Vimeo site

11. sportster macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll try it out, and let him know. I was thinking I tried converting m4v files before and had issues, maybe it was the mkz files... can't remember, to many video file types out there

12. elisedriver macrumors newbie

My GoPro HD actually has the files with a mp4 file extension.

1280 × 720, H.264, AAC, VBR usually around 8k-9k

Straight into Handbrake and even on my macbook (specs as per below) and it converts to iPhone4 m4v format in about 1/3 of the video duration. i.e. a one minute GoPro HD video @ 60 fps will convert in 20 secs

13. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

The 16gb Class 10's are really cheap these days on sites like tiger direct or newegg. Just bought a bunch of them the other day. Love my GoPro HD. Mounted it to a Ducatti 996 Motorcycle and got footage at 100mph

14. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

My first outing...

I took the camera out to Big White Kelowna B.C.
    It was my first snowboard trip on a real hill.
    Where Im from we have crevices and cracks in the ground :p
    It was great the first few days.
    The shots between foggy, cloudy and blue skies made my first outing a learning experience.
    However I ran into the worse things on my last day.
    What I though was a battery issue turned out to be user (dumb@$$) error :(
    I took my old 8GB out of a Canon and used it to replace a full SD card (16GB Class 10).
    Well I went off and explored all the crazy back-woods stuff with camera running thinking that I was recording the best times of my life.
    When I got back to chalet, checking the camera and noticed that all clips shot that day lasted no longer than 7 seconds.
    I thought for sure it was a battery issue but found it to be a stupid error on my part :(
    Never use older crappier SD cards on a GoPro HD.
    I sent GoPro Tech support this question on my battery before realizing my stupid move :p
    Below is the reply I received from GoPro Tech:

Sorry to hear abut the problem with your camera. How long does the battery actually last?

It sounds like your SD card may not be compatible with the HD HERO camera for video. What brand, capacity, and class rating SD card are you using?

Have you tried reformatting the card using the delete all function in the settings menu of the camera? Did you ever try out a different SD card in the camera?

We recommend name brand SD cards with a class 4 rating or higher, but have recently come to learn that even some name brand cards are having compatibility issues with the HD HERO camera.

We are currently working on doing a full listing of recommended (and not recommended) cards. We are researching further to determine why some cards are not adhering to the spec to which our SD card host adapter conforms. Internally we use Kingston or Patriot brand cards: 16GB, Class 4 without issue, so can safely recommend those.

Please do try out one of the Kingston or Patriot brand cards, and the video recording should work fine.

All in all its a great piece of tech ;)

15. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Good stuff. Was that footage taken straight from the camera? Any stabilisation applied in post? Because I can't see any "jelly cam" effect at all - it looks great.

16. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Love the video and good job on your first edit :) I actually did my most recent on Premiere Pro cause it was the only editor on my Mac at home. Im usually Avid/FCP but heck Prem did the job and Im actually gonna start using it more for future projects.
    Im so stoked over this camera. I hit this little kicker on a blue run and landed on my head. The camera survived with no probs ;)
    Between the Chesty and the Helmet cam, the debate is still on.
    The Chesty you can grab and direct as your riding but the noise is crap due to excess grabbing of body.
    The helmet which survived a few head buts did the job too :)
    I have maybe 30 seconds of me (being shot) out of the 2hours used :p
    Let the gf put it on her helmet but shes a bunny-hill girl and Im built for death :)
    So the shots were all of me from a distant :p

17. xStep macrumors 68000

I have fond memories of Big White from a ski trip many many moons ago. :D

Are you going to post some footage? I'm curious to see the difference between the mounting points you mentioned. It sounds like the helmet cam gives a much nicer result.

18. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Im doing that trip every year and adding Whistler every second. So that means next year will be both ;)
    Yes the helmet is smoother but takes a bit of a beating when your me :p
    Im not a pro but like to try it all :)
    I find the videos are way better during accidents, So yes pain is the gain :)
    Ill post the first video but its got a bit of personal stuff with friends photos. Ill replace them with actual frames that makes sense.
    The gf's are all touchy about their photos making it out in the world :p
    of note the audio on the chesty sucks compared to helmet (due to touching of jacket/hands/brick walls), however the helmet tends to record a droning hum from the helmet. its constant cause your nogging isnt solid :)

19. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

And your head..?
    (footnote: I work in a tertiary healthcare facility with a brain injury rehab unit so let's be careful out there.)

So just to clarify, no-one's seeing any jelly cam wobble from GoPro HD?