Gorilla and Monkey Business

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link

Well while the underlying issue is serious, this version is just wacky! :rolleyes:

Seems Koko has been couped up too long, and through sign language asked his "handlers" to show some skin!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
And they're sure it's Koko and not just some guy in a gorilla suit? :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
emw said:
And they're sure it's Koko and not just some guy in a gorilla suit? :D
Ya, I was wondering if the "interpretur" was off on his own agenda.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I am reminded of the scene from "Real Genius" (iirc) - also featuring val kilmer, lasers and lots of popcorn.

*edit* it is actually "Trading Places" - featuring Eddie Murphy, said gorilla and Jamie Lee Curtis's breasts.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
blackfox said:
I am reminded of the scene from "Real Genius" (iirc) - also featuring val kilmer, lasers and lots of popcorn.

*edit* perhaps it is not Real Genius, but it is an 80's spy-related comedy. The scene involves a man in a gorilla suit, a train, and a caged gorilla.

still like that movie, should have grown out of it by now. Good visual there :p !

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
blackfox said:

*edit* perhaps it is not Real Genius, but it is an 80's spy-related comedy. The scene involves a man in a gorilla suit, a train, and a caged gorilla.
That's Trading Places isn't it? Not quite a spy comedy, but...

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Raven VII said:
That's Trading Places isn't it? Not quite a spy comedy, but...
Right you are. Memory hazy normally, in the morning...well...

thanks.

Still, I am glad to have gotten the chance to mention "Real Genius" in a thread, however, as it is an excellent flick even sans apes or monkeys.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Why wouldn't the board get Koko some gurly gorillas to "bond" with Koko? Does anyone believe the head of the board, a woman BTW, really ok'd this lunacy?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stubeeef said:
Why wouldn't the board get Koko some gurly gorillas to "bond" with Koko? Does anyone believe the head of the board, a woman BTW, really ok'd this lunacy?
I hope this comes across as seriously as I mean it, because I'm not trying to be funny, but if she did okay it, her perspective may have been skewed.

That is, she's been working with Koko for more than 30 years, teaching sign language, bonding, learning habits etc. Her perspective is that it is important for humans to bond with the gorillas in order to try and build a mutual understanding and respect. It is possible that she looked at this not so much as a sexual thing (although to Koko I suppose it was) as a bonding thing.

The part about doing it in public, well, that seems more like Koko has some sort of fetish...

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
emw said:
I hope this comes across as seriously as I mean it, because I'm not trying to be funny, but if she did okay it, her perspective may have been skewed.

That is, she's been working with Koko for more than 30 years, teaching sign language, bonding, learning habits etc. Her perspective is that it is important for humans to bond with the gorillas in order to try and build a mutual understanding and respect. It is possible that she looked at this not so much as a sexual thing (although to Koko I suppose it was) as a bonding thing.

The part about doing it in public, well, that seems more like Koko has some sort of fetish...
ya but those types are available on any of a thousand forums, why try it with legits? Then again maybe they came from one of those forums, and then saw $$$$ signs, crazy world ain't it!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stubeeef said:
ya but those types are available on any of a thousand forums, why try it with legits? Then again maybe they came from one of those forums, and then saw $$$$ signs, crazy world ain't it!
If I read this correctly, I think you mean why would she ask the workers to do the breast-baring instead of someone she could hire who does that kind of thing professionally? I think it's because she would want the gorilla to bond with his handlers, not with a couple of strippers from Chez Parti. :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
emw said:
If I read this correctly, I think you mean why would she ask the workers to do the breast-baring instead of someone she could hire who does that kind of thing professionally? I think it's because she would want the gorilla to bond with his handlers, not with a couple of strippers from Chez Parti. :D

So Koko is descerning?! :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stubeeef said:
So Koko is descerning?! :D
Probably not, but Patterson may be. That is, she might have felt it was important for the handlers to show some skin in order to create a better relationship with the Gorilla.

Of course, if he's like other guys, that may not work out so well... ;)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
The Gorilla Foundation, south of San Francisco, maintains that Koko understands a sign language vocabulary of more than 1,000 words.
I was just thinking - if we can teach a gorilla 1,000 words in sign language (which is arguably more than some people I associate with at work), surely we could teach him how to browse the internet. That way he can find as many breasts as he'd like.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Crikey said:
Just to correct some misapprehensions showing up in posted replies here, I should mention that Koko the gorilla is a female.

(www.koko.org)

Crikey
Well THAT putz a whole new, even more bizzare, twist on this one! I wonder if the lawyer knew that juicey tidbit! Thanks Crikey! :D
From the link above

Gorilla Foundation Statement Responding to
Pending Litigation

Feb. 21, 2005

On February 15, 2005, Kendra Keller and Nancy Alperin filed a lawsuit against The Gorilla Foundation alleging an entitlement to damages in connection with the termination of their employment, but chose to
publicize the lawsuit by falsely claiming that they were wrongfully terminated. In fact, as The Gorilla Foundation will prove, the termination of Ms. Keller's and Ms. Alperin's employment with The Gorilla Foundation was entirely lawful and unrelated to any of the matters raised in their lawsuit.

The manner in which their attorney chose to frame and publicize the lawsuit, in our opinion, is nothing more than a transparent attempt to call attention to himself and the suit in hopes of gaining an advantage
in the litigation. Based on the advice of our attorneys, and our desire to conduct ourselves with the dignity and class befitting the noble efforts of The Gorilla Foundation, we are electing to defend the lawsuit in
court as opposed to litigating the case in the press.

To be clear, we unequivocally deny the hurtful allegations of the lawsuit and intend to vigorously defend the case through trial, if necessary, in the San Mateo County Superior Court. We have faith in our system of justice and are confident that the lawsuit completely lacks merit.

In the event you have any questions concerning the lawsuit or have information bearing on the issues raised in the suit, we ask that you contact our attorney, Todd A. Roberts, of Ropers, Majeski, Kohn & Bentley in Redwood City, at 650-364-8200 or troberts@ropers.com.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I take the story at face value. I think that the Gorilla Koko is for real, with respect to her accomplishments. She doesn't have the inhibitions of humans. Animals are curious also, so chances are this was a thought that came to mind. The public part was just wrong. If the ladies were uncomfortable, they should have quit at the first request. An explanation to Koko would allowed her a view into human morality.