Gorilla Cracks Exhibit Glass at Henry Doorly Zoo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Apr 17, 2015.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or, what happens when the papparazzi crosses the line.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/zoo...cle_c1f3b9be-e510-11e4-81cc-c7eed314fe32.html

BL.

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

The speed of attack was frightening. The gorilla gained so much ground so quickly.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You can see the little girl's reflection in the glass. She wasn't waving like the article said, she was beating her chest in true gorilla fashion. I guess old Silverback saw that as a challenge.

About 45 years ago my brother and I were watching (through glass) a gorilla in the Milwaukee Zoo. Suddenly, he reached around, got a handful of crap, and threw it right at us. We still laugh about it to this day.

They'll remember this rest of their lives, too.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Impressed how calm the guy's voice was. If that were me, there would be a me-shaped hole in the far wall, and I'd be screaming "take the children! They're fresh meat!!"*

* not really

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I thought she was waiving to, but on second look after reading this, yup she was beating her chest! I also like how the gorilla was looking away as it coming towards the glass.

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Gorillas belong in the wild, any sufficiently developed brain will go nuts/depressive/psychotic/aggressive in a confined environment like a zoo. I do appreciate that zoos can help with endangered animals, but there should be a sizeable percentage of their income to actively help wildlife protection.

8. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Funny you should mention this.

I've been to the Henry Doorly Zoo many a day (I'm a native of Omaha) and they actually have two separate exhibits for the gorillas; one indoor, and one free roaming and outdoor that is basically the wild without being in the wild.

http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/gorilla-valley/

http://www.omahazoo.com/Post/sections/42/Files/Hubbard Gorilla Valley.pdf

Also with that is the Lied Jungle, which is the largest indoor open aired rainforest in the country. It's a trip to see animals and other creatures living and moving below ground, under water, on the ground, flying overhead, and yes, swinging above your head. Killer place..

It would have to be, for it to be part of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

BL.

9. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And to think, 'ol Silverback wasn't the first one to do this, and we now know why he did it. Enjoy:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/zoo...cle_21da7cbd-7b1e-5145-8252-a25efb669892.html

PDF: Casey the Gorilla's Old Antics

So unless you want to get coldcocked by Magilla Gorilla, don't ever look him in the eye.

[​IMG]

BL.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Damn!!! That would be our cue to leave the entire zoo.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I saw a gorilla crap into his hand, throw it at us and then lick it off the window.

12. eko91 macrumors regular

oh my...

That is scary!! Surprised the kids weren't screaming!! But obviously they were trying to get the gorillas attention a bit too much!