Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Do you guys think Apple used Gorilla Glass 4 on the Sport model? If so that would be awesome since GG4 survived 80% of the time against drops onto rough surfaces or objects when tested. So I guess this would help if you bump your watch display on a corner or pretty much anything.

I really wish they would just give you a sapphire option the the Sport!

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Do you guys think Apple used Gorilla Glass 4 on the Sport model? If so that would be awesome since GG4 survived 80% of the time against drops onto rough surfaces or objects when tested. So I guess this would help if you bump your watch display on a corner or pretty much anything.

I really wish they would just give you a sapphire option the the Sport!

It the same glass as on the iphone, so not gorilla. The apple watch may be different, but watch glass rarely shatters, it is usually quite protected and the small size/thicker makes it harder to shatter. You should be more worried about scratches from brushing against things.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
It the same glass as on the iphone, so not gorilla. The apple watch may be different, but watch glass rarely shatters, it is usually quite protected and the small size/thicker makes it harder to shatter. You should be more worried about scratches from brushing against things.

iPhone does use Gorilla Glass. Apple just doesn't say so explicitly.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
iPhone 6 and 6+ uses ion - X. Those before had older versions of gorilla glass.

What do you think Gorilla Glass is? Apple has never explicitly stated what glass they use, but teardowns have always confirmed it's Gorilla Glass.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
iPhone has always used Gorilla Glass even the 6 & 6 Plus. I'm just curious if they went with GG4 on the Sport model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.