Gorilla Glass in Ipad 3?

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope. gorilla glass 2.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
All iPods, iPhones, and iPads that have glass use gorilla glass or gorilla glass 2. Apple just doesn't advertise it like android makers.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Apple uses glass from Corning, but they do not say it's Gorilla Glass. It could be something special Corning whips up just for them, or it could be unbranded Gorilla Glass (or possibly Gorilla Glass 2 now). And we've only known for certain that Corning was supplying their glass in the last month or so.

handinhand12

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah iOS devices started using it from the very first iPhone. It says in the Steve Jobs biography that only two weeks from when the iPhone was to go into mass production Steve decided he didn't want the screen to be plastic because of how easily it scratched. He had his engineers quickly find a replacement suitable for the iPhone. They found Gorilla Glass which was created in the 60's but had never been use as the company didn't think it was useful in anything. They threw it into production and the iPhone went into production with it.

Of course now, Android makers LOVE to advertise if they use it, when in reality, if Apple hadn't uncovered it and used it, it probably still wouldn't be used.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Apple uses glass from Corning, but they do not say it's Gorilla Glass. It could be something special Corning whips up just for them, or it could be unbranded Gorilla Glass (or possibly Gorilla Glass 2 now). And we've only known for certain that Corning was supplying their glass in the last month or so.
The Steve Jobs biography talks about Gorilla Glass and how Jobs convinced Corning to start producing it again. Apparently it has been around for many years, but nobody had a use for it until the iPhone came around.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Android and OEM manufacturers love to advertise Corning Gorilla Glass or Gorilla Glass 2 even when they don't use any :( The chinese still think it's the name of any normal glass...

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Yes it's some kind of monkey glass.

I mean, why would they all of a sudden use cheap glass that scratches so everyone will return them, sue them, and make terrible comics on the blogs.

It might be wise to try to avoid this :D

But this is a good question, as no one seems to advertise the 'gorilla' part any longer.

Most likely, they get better deals on the equivalent product. Probably, engineers said: "Hey, this gorilla thing is a joke, it's just such and such, and the patents don't hold, etc. etc. )

Last edited:

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Yeah iOS devices started using it from the very first iPhone. It says in the Steve Jobs biography that only two weeks from when the iPhone was to go into mass production Steve decided he didn't want the screen to be plastic because of how easily it scratched. He had his engineers quickly find a replacement suitable for the iPhone. They found Gorilla Glass which was created in the 60's but had never been use as the company didn't think it was useful in anything. They threw it into production and the iPhone went into production with it.

Of course now, Android makers LOVE to advertise if they use it, when in reality, if Apple hadn't uncovered it and used it, it probably still wouldn't be used.
This!!!!

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
You are right Apple does not list them as a supplier.

There is a little evidence pointing to Corning as the glass provider for the iPhone but not much for the iPad.

Could be they are using a couple of different sources or glass being produced under license.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68000
Oct 18, 2008
UK
You are right Apple does not list them as a supplier.

There is a little evidence pointing to Corning as the glass provider for the iPhone but not much for the iPad.

Could be they are using a couple of different sources or glass being produced under license.
Apple don't like to list any suppliers publically, it's only from evidence of examining chips or news of business deals that most of them are even known.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Here's a list from the official website of products that have gorilla glass. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any apple products listed.
The fact no Apple product is listed doesn't prove Gorilla glass is not used in the iPad3.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Here's a list from the official website of products that have gorilla glass. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any apple products listed.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/products-with-gorilla
Did you somehow miss this on that page??

"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more. "

Dkorda

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Did you somehow miss this on that page??

"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more. "
I agree bro, but its gotta be GG.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
All iPods, iPhones, and iPads that have glass use gorilla glass or gorilla glass 2. Apple just doesn't advertise it like android makers.
Says who....you?

----------

iPhone 1 only

----------

If I'm not mistaken, the iPad 3 has the upgraded Gorilla Glass 2.
You are mistaken... You based this on what your gut?

----------

The fact no Apple product is listed doesn't prove Gorilla glass is not used in the iPad3.
It does not prove it is being used.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Read Steve Jobs bio. Steve Jobs himself was the first to go to Corning and asked them to develop glass for a phone before any Android devices even existed. He pioneered the use of gorilla glass in portable devices. Before that, virtually all phones used plastic screens. ALL iOS devices use gorilla glass.