Gorilla Glass in Ipad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harleymhs, Mar 13, 2012.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Gorilla Glass in Ipad3 ? Boy that would be NICE!

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope. gorilla glass 2.

3. dread macrumors 6502a

All iPods, iPhones, and iPads that have glass use gorilla glass or gorilla glass 2. Apple just doesn't advertise it like android makers.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Apple uses glass from Corning, but they do not say it's Gorilla Glass. It could be something special Corning whips up just for them, or it could be unbranded Gorilla Glass (or possibly Gorilla Glass 2 now). And we've only known for certain that Corning was supplying their glass in the last month or so.

5. siilver1984 macrumors member

what is gorilla glass ?
    i hear all the talk, but don't know what it is really

6. handinhand12 macrumors newbie

Yeah iOS devices started using it from the very first iPhone. It says in the Steve Jobs biography that only two weeks from when the iPhone was to go into mass production Steve decided he didn't want the screen to be plastic because of how easily it scratched. He had his engineers quickly find a replacement suitable for the iPhone. They found Gorilla Glass which was created in the 60's but had never been use as the company didn't think it was useful in anything. They threw it into production and the iPhone went into production with it.

Of course now, Android makers LOVE to advertise if they use it, when in reality, if Apple hadn't uncovered it and used it, it probably still wouldn't be used.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The Steve Jobs biography talks about Gorilla Glass and how Jobs convinced Corning to start producing it again. Apparently it has been around for many years, but nobody had a use for it until the iPhone came around.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

I think I read they are using monkey glass, although it may be Gorilla, I don't know.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Android and OEM manufacturers love to advertise Corning Gorilla Glass or Gorilla Glass 2 even when they don't use any :( The chinese still think it's the name of any normal glass...

10. Red Fuji macrumors member

Red Fuji

glass ?

I thought it was some sort of 'plastic' and not glass.

now i am going apes :eek: !

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Save the Gorillas! Stop making glass out of them or they will soon be extinct!

12. mac jones, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes it's some kind of monkey glass.

I mean, why would they all of a sudden use cheap glass that scratches so everyone will return them, sue them, and make terrible comics on the blogs.

It might be wise to try to avoid this :D

But this is a good question, as no one seems to advertise the 'gorilla' part any longer.

Most likely, they get better deals on the equivalent product. Probably, engineers said: "Hey, this gorilla thing is a joke, it's just such and such, and the patents don't hold, etc. etc. )

13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

It is Gorilla Glass, and has been from day one:

Corning Glass Made iPhone Possible

14. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

This!!!!

15. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

If I'm not mistaken, the iPad 3 has the upgraded Gorilla Glass 2.

16. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Source?

17. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Is Gorilla glass 2 much more durable than the orignal or is it just thinner and lighter?

18. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

19. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

You are right Apple does not list them as a supplier.

There is a little evidence pointing to Corning as the glass provider for the iPhone but not much for the iPad.

Could be they are using a couple of different sources or glass being produced under license.

20. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Apple don't like to list any suppliers publically, it's only from evidence of examining chips or news of business deals that most of them are even known.

21. TC25 macrumors 68020

The fact no Apple product is listed doesn't prove Gorilla glass is not used in the iPad3.

22. poloponies macrumors 68030

Did you somehow miss this on that page??

"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more. "

23. Dkorda macrumors 6502

I agree bro, but its gotta be GG.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

Says who....you?

----------

iPhone 1 only

----------

You are mistaken... You based this on what your gut?

----------

It does not prove it is being used.

25. slicecom macrumors 68020

Read Steve Jobs bio. Steve Jobs himself was the first to go to Corning and asked them to develop glass for a phone before any Android devices even existed. He pioneered the use of gorilla glass in portable devices. Before that, virtually all phones used plastic screens. ALL iOS devices use gorilla glass.