Gorilla Glass - Is Invisible Shield needed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Since the new iPad screen is made of Gorilla Glass, is screen protection (Invisible Shield or other) really needed? Gorilla Glass is supposed to prevent scratches, etc., but I don't know how good or bad it protects the screen.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Nowhere does anything say that the screen is made of Gorilla Glass

3. homeboy macrumors 6502

I used my iPad 2 extensively for 9 months, kept it in a full protection smart cover by Marware.

When I sold it, it looked as good as new. Not a single mark or scratch on the screen.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

It's made of Gorilla, or Gorilla 'like' glass.

Apple doesn't cheap out like this.

The question though is will it scratch. I don't know, but my iPhone is like it's made out of Kryptonite-unbelievably tough.

But it's small, which theoretically shouldn't make a difference, but who knows.

5. tekchic, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Some people get scratches, others don't. I've had my iPad 2 for a year now and I wipe it down every day, and I still don't have a single scratch or nick. I've used a SmartCover with a ShaggyMac microfiber cloth from day 1.

I think it depends on the environment. I'm a software developer, so I'm in a quiet, tame office. If I worked in a machine shop, maybe I'd go with GhostArmor or something. :)

My iPad's gone with me to Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and is also my map and GPS when I'm in the chase vehicle instead of piloting my hot air balloon, so it does get used out in "the field" (literally, haha). I just try to keep the screen clean, especially after those outings.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

I've seen you guys. My GOD the view must be surreal. I'd love to to that.

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I've had my iPad 2 for a year and don't have a single scratch. My iPad 1 didn't have any scratches either.

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Come on out and fly with us sometime, we always need a hand, it's just a hobby sport for us. PM me if you want to play with the balloons. :)

9. profets macrumors 68040

My iPad 2 I've had for a year with heavy use, a lot of travelling and tons of time spent on it by my 4 year old. Never had any protection on the screen, and a few simple wipes it looks brand new.

For iPhones and iPads, the screens seem incredibly strong and scratch resistant. If anything I'd rather have some sort of protection for the back, as 99% of the time the iPad is placed back down on different surfaces.

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

My iPad sees a ton of abuse from a 1yr old and a 2 yr old but after a year, I only have a small scratch on the bezel. But now that I am getting myself the new iPad I can leave the 2 in a griffin survivor, and my ipad will just be in a folio type case and thats it.

11. jmnikricket macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Last year I proposed to a girl and ended up breaking it off because she was a b****. Well she went to town on my iPhone with the ring...

Would a screen protector have helped? Not at all, but the point is, there are always things out there that are harder than your iPad screen that you never even think about that mysteriously seem to contact it in spite of the most meticulous care. No reason not to get a screen protector ;)

12. mooseknuckles macrumors member

Cash in on this offer. Years and years and years ago I chase crewed in CO for a few years. Loved every day of it. From set up to folding the envelope at the end of the day, great times!

13. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

Gorilla vs Women scorned.....poor Gorilla

15. tmoerel macrumors 6502

The question is more:

Do you want to cover superb high resolution image with a layer of plastic having doubtful optical qualities????

16. quinn222 macrumors member

I've had mine for a year, no screen protection and it's like new. My cat (who has claws) plays games on it (really) and it hasn't got a scratch.

17. GoGa macrumors regular

GoGa

I've had my iPad 2 since launch day (a bit after) and I use it a lot and I have no scratches of my screen. My dog even jumped on it!
    I don't really think a screen shield is needed, but people like to have one on for peace of mind

18. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

Zagg's Invisible Shield is supposed to have a HD version that isn't supposed to diminish the quality of the Retina display. I was just wondering if it's really needed.

19. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

"This is a positive for GLW as Gorilla Glass 2 will likely be used as cover glass."

I know we are getting into semantics here, but we can't always just assume.

20. ripkord macrumors 6502

Yeah not a mark on my nearly 2 year old screen and its been dropped, abused by cats / you name it :D

21. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Gorilla Glass is pretty damage resistant. It's pretty close to sapphire crystal used in high-end watches. It is resistant to damage but diamonds and anything with a hardness above 9 will be able to damage it. It still is possible to crack or scratch the glass with enough pressure. I would get an Applecare+ plan rather than spend money on an Invisible shield unless you want an anti-glare surface.

22. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

23. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

If you have used an Apple device that you own (because the Apple store ones just don't feel as nice), you know how smooth feeling the touch screens are - iPod touch, iPhone, iPad.

The InvisibleShield adds a thick rubbery feeling to the screen. While it is very protective, it feels like sh-t, in my opinion. Completely diminishes the texture Apple intended the touch screen to have.

If you want a screen protector, find a better one (users have been posting alternatives). I dunno if you have any personal experience with InvisibleShields, but if you have not and enjoy the feel of your touchscreen, avoid it.

24. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I don't know that you need a screen protector. My ipad 2 got nary a scratch in a year without it.

That being said, if you do get one do yourself a favor and spend a few more bucks for a PowerSupport anti-glare. They're fantastic. Much better feeling than the Zagg stuff.

25. bangak macrumors newbie

My iPad 2 got a nice 4 inch long gouge down the middle of the screen after wiping it with the smart cover microfiber lining, so the screens are definitely not scratch proof. Something was there on the screen and it took out a bit of glass with it. It's enough that you can feel it with your finger and notice it with the iPad turned on as a bit of distortion akin to having a long hair on the screen.

So, here's how I see it after using the zagg Invisishield on my iPad 1 and going without on my iPad 2 and suffering a scratch: screen protectors suck. The iPad is an object that will sooner or later end up in the garbage...it will get scratched, dented, scuffed and eventually stop working after so many years. Enjoy the screen as it is meant to be. If it get's scratched, it will STILL look better than if it had a screen protector on it with all the distortion that a film of plastic will inherently imbue to the retina display.

Applecare+ is a much better investment IMHO.