Gorillapod = Stable iPhone Stand (Photo)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Habakuk, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Strictly spoken the Gorillapod is NOT an iPhone accessoire but some kind of a very practical & recommendable tripod for cameras (no, I am not the vendor). It's available in different sizes.

This one (model "SLR ZOOM") may be too huge for an iPhone and it looks eventually something strange but it's very stable, you can even press the Home or Sleep/Wake button with one finger (or both with two fingers; no need to hold the whole thing) and have the fat Apple AV composite cable attached without problems p. e. (as seen on the photo). It's easy to adjust the favored downtilt angle or landscape placement (even more stable).

The iPhone is in the Clarifi case (description here: Some real life photos of Griffin Clarifi case) but the Gorillapod is soft enough so it wouldn't hurt the naked iPhone as well.

With a little experience you can wangle it up like this in half a minute and it will hold and protect your iPhone or iPotch like grandpa silverback his youngest offspring.

Attached Files:

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Wow, that looks very stable. At the same time, it looks very ugly.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Not my type either, thanks for the info though.

4. Habakuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't recommend it for optical or design reasons (although I wouldn't call it ugly nor pretty, rather interesting ;-) but for practical ones. It's the stablest stand I have—and I have the original Apple Docking Station for 3G iPhones and the (very stable and nice looking, but being in fact rather fragile) alu Xtand. With both your device can fall when you press the Home button without holding against it with another finger or hand from the backside.

You have absolutely no chance with such cables attached! And the Gorillapod clinch has a nice grip to hold.

The mobile factor: I never go out on trips without my SLR/video and the Gorillapod. It serves additionally in hotel rooms for looking YouTube or AV on the TV set without having to carry another device (stand) with me. And the phone is protected too: Once somebody stumbled over the cable and the whole thing fell to the floor: The iPhone stayed firm in the gorilla's clinch and didn't even get a scratch!

5. sdk macrumors newbie

I have the Gorrillapod GoGo and I like it.

I thought I saw a 3rd party vendor make a Gorrillapod GoGo snap in that holds the iPhone in a black sleeve tightly.

I believe it was showcased at the last Macworld Expo.

Any input appreciated.

:cool: